Dry gloves for the KVR1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Colliam7

Tech Instructor
Staff member
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Please pardon what may be a 'dumb question'.

I have a new Apeks KVR1 drysuit, with oval rings, and the (much hyped in the product literature) 'Seal Lock Technology' system, which is (apparently) a Si-Tech product. Good system, love the suit, etc., etc.,

I want to be able to use dry gloves with the suit, in addition to the silicone wrist seals that come with it. But:

1. I am having trouble matching the designation 'Seal Lock Technology' with a particular locking system referenced on the Si-Tech website (e.g. the QCP system, the Antares system).

2. There is nothing (that I can find) on the Apeks site that shows dry gloves as a purchase-able option.

So, what dry gloves should I purchase that will fit the KVR1's oval SLT wrist locks?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bill Sawyer

@Colliam7 bill, unfortunately I haven't seen an Apeks rep here in ages. That said, I'd gamble on the Antares system. Contact @Dive Right In Scuba to verify, but I can't imagine Aqualung had a custom made seal system made for them
Tom, thanks. I will call DRIS.

Colliam7, I am getting ready to purchase a KVR1 and was wondering the same thing about the dry gloves. what did you find out about them?

Waterproof Ultima or Kubi are the good choices. Antares sucks by all reports.

You’ve got the same oval rings I had on my new Fusion. I went with the Waterproof. Love it. Getting gloves on the rings is a freakin pita. I go into the shop (DRIS) and they do it for me. Very common, I’m told. There is a long thread here about the Ultima and which gloves work better, etc.

Go for the Waterproof Ultima Dryglove system.
It fits on the QCS system without any problem.
Push the si-tech ring out and the waterproof in and you're good to go.
Getting the glove on the ring is a bit of a hassle but it's doable.
Haven't had a leak so far. (approx. 70 dives)

For a direct integrated fit straight out of the box with no modifications to your suit, you basically have 2 choices:

1. Si-Tech Antares glove ring system

2. Waterproof Ultima DGS

If you research the Antares glove ring system you will find that they are not well recommended as they have fragile tabs and there are plenty of posts where users have stated they could not get them to not leak. If you want to keep the oval shape of your wrist cuff setup this is the only product on the market.

I personally have the Waterproof Ultima DGS...they are a great setup and were intended by Waterproof to work with the Si-Tech oval wrist system. You will pull out the hard oval ring that sandwiches the silicone seal with your suit's cuff ring and replace it with the hard round ring that comes in the box...you will use it to re-install the wrist seal. The glove ring then presses onto the hard round ring. It takes only a few minutes to setup. I have been diving this system for few months now and absolutely love it.

I also highly recommend the SHOWA 720 nitrile gloves, they stretchier than the typical vinyl gloves that seem to be popular making them easier to moun, and they are inherently warmer and more resistant to cuts, and punctures than latex dry gloves.

-Z

Colliam7, I am getting ready to purchase a KVR1 and was wondering the same thing about the dry gloves. what did you find out about them?
Here is what I got by way of recommendations:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You have a 3 different options. I would stay away from the Antares as it's prone to leaking.

https://t1.convertcart.com/event/62...16983&resultName=Antares Oval Dryglove System

https://t1.convertcart.com/event/62...0&resultId=7180&resultName=Virgo Glove System

https://t1.convertcart.com/event/62...ultId=9092&resultName=Ultima Dry Glove System

Check those out :wink: The Ultima is the most purchased for the Oval SLT system.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting...I knew of the Virgo but was not aware it was designed for the QCS oval wrist cuff system. I wonder if they developed it to replace the Antares which in general has unfavorable reviews.

I just watched the Virgo video and it seems like it is a similar design to the Si-Tech Glove Lock dryglove ring system except that the bayonet ring is on the glove side instead of the cuff side and the locking ring is on the cuff side instead of the glove side.

It looks like a good system. I will say from experience with both the Ultima DGS on my suit and the Glove Lock on my wife's that gloves are a hell of a lot easier to mount on the Glove Lock...since the Virgo is nearly identical, gloves would be just as easy to install on it as well. The design of the Ultima DGS is a bit challenging to initially get the gloves mouted on the rings until one figures out a good technique that works for themself....the first time I mounted my gloves it was killer but I figured out a way to get them on easier and now its not so difficult...still a bit more effort than the si-tech systems but I also think the gloves are more secure in general once mounted.

one big difference between the two systems is that the Ultima DGS does not have moving parts like the Virgo lock ring. I really like the Ultima DGS system but if I had to do it again I would seriously consider either the Ultima DGS or the Si-Tech Virgo.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom