Dry Gloves System conundrum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the link below you will find the two most common gloves used which are the 490 (495) and 460 (465). The "5" part number comes with liners. Our water is slightly warmer than yours so the stock liners have worked great for me. Good dexterity from them. I have had the built in liner, and it is next to impossible to dry. The gloves tend to get stinky too. The removable liner allows you to have multiple sets, or you can set them out in the sun to dry (In the sun? Oh wait Seattle...) during your surface interval. The difference between the glove part numbers is thickness. The blue ones are slightly thicker. since I am hard on equipment and have had a couple of glove cuts/failures I stick with the thicker pair of blue gloves. Plus hand signals are easier to see with the blue gloves. To me the dry gloves offer much better dexterity than a 5mm glove as they are thinner, but warmer. The key is to have the glove fit tight. You should have to work them onto your fingers not just slide right in. That way there is no extra material creating problems. The glove does not have to go all the way to the bottom of your fingers. Many of us use a "straw" or in my case my thumb loop from my drysuit undies to allow air to pass in and out of the glove. Keeps the gloves from becoming Mickey Mouse hands on ascent, and also from compressing all the warm air into nothing. Drysuit squeeze and glove squeeze are one in the same.

ProductCart shopping cart software - Seattle Marine

The conundrum is getting denser...:thinking:! Thanks! I will look at the link when I am not falling asleep...:tired:

My husband uses a boot drier that has two pieces of plastic shaped like hands to dry its gloves with built in liners.

good night!

Lynne, I looked at the Viking bayonet system on line and it seems to me that you have to buy the rings and the gloves separately or it is possible to find the gloves already attached to the rings?

Sorry, I didn't see this before now.

You buy the rings, and then buy the gloves you want to put on them. The orange Atlas gloves I use (which would probably be what you want) are available at McLendon's hardware stores for about $5.95.

This is all I use, Pull Over Glove and Ring. Put ring on inside of wrist seal, pull glove over seal before getting into the water and you are good to go. Gloves come in size 9, 10, 10.5, 11, There is a U/W photo in the glove link.

Wayne, Mike at DRIS sent those to me to try. They didn't work for me, and I don't think they'd work for the OP, either. I could not pull them far enough up over the ring to avoid having an inch of glove hanging off the end of my fingers.

Curious......Did you use the SiTech Rubber Ring Set? I could see how it didn't work for you. Wouldn't work for me either. The outer ring is way too big.

But as Wayne stated, by using the SiTech Stiff Inner Ring only works like a charm. Love them! Self Donning.

I pushed the ring through the sleeve till the back of the ring is even with the back of the seal tape.

I fold the gloves back over itself half way allowing me to pull the gloves to where they should be and water pressure takes care of the rest fit wise.

Works great with DUI rings as well.

Thanks Wayne for setting me up with the rings.

I posted the setup before and can be found here.

Curious......Did you use the SiTech Rubber Ring Set? I could see how it didn't work for you. Wouldn't work for me either. The outer ring is way too big.

But as Wayne stated, by using the SiTech Stiff Inner Ring only works like a charm. Love them! Self Donning.

I pushed the ring through the sleeve till the back of the ring is even with the back of the seal tape.

I fold the gloves back over itself half way allowing me to pull the gloves to where they should be and water pressure takes care of the rest fit wise.

Works great with DUI rings as well.

Thanks Wayne for setting me up with the rings.

I posted the setup before and can be found here.

This is all well and good but by looking at the pictures it seems to me an awkward system...One think is sure: they are cheap!:)

Actually very simple. The inner ring fits snugly inside the suit cuff so no worries that it will not be in proper position and the glove is pulled over. This is the most simple system I have seen. No O ring to fail or twist locks and I am able to put the gloves on last after I'm all geared up.

Also, no permanent alteration to your suit.

Actually very simple. The inner ring fits snugly inside the suit cuff so no worries that it will not be in proper position and the glove is pulled over. This is the most simple system I have seen. No O ring to fail or twist locks and I am able to put the gloves on last after I'm all geared up.

Also, no permanent alteration to your suit.

The problem may be being able to find this system in a local dive shop so I can try it before making the commitment to buy it...

You can probably do the same with heavy duty dish gloves and a slice of 3" PVC or ABS pipe. Make sure you round the edges of the pipe well - o/w you risk cutting your wrist seals. Some of the dish gloves have rolled edge cuffs (a bead), these are probably stronger and easier to pull on. If nothing else this is a cheap way to try the system.

I like my SiTech rings/replaceable silicon seals and my homemade glove rings. I am playing with a bayonet glove ring system. The more times you stretch the cuff over the ring the more likely you are to tear the glove cuff (the rolled edge ones less), I have torn one cuff playing with putting the glove on/off the ring. The advantage I see to the bayonet rings is less wear and tear to the glove cuff, but this may be a mute point.

The Diving Concepts rings apparently work pretty well, but changing gloves is a pain and requires tools.

The DC ring system does not require any special tools to change out. Ive done it by hand before, but it can be a little difficult. One very easy method I was taught of changing them involves nothing more than 2 binder clips, which is something just about everyone had. Simply put the o-ring inside the glove, pull it over, clip to hold, pull some more over, clip to hold, and then pull the rest completely over. Works extremely well and takes about 30 seconds.

Now to answer OP's question, my DC rings were great.......until they didnt work. Then there was no fixing them. I have since ordered a pair of Si-Tech rings

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom