Dry Suit in Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I LOVE diving tropical water dry. I use a set of polarfleece sweats between 75 and 80; above 80, I go down to a base layer. You always want a wicking layer between you and the suit.

People make a big deal of how hot you will be on the surface or boat, but in fact, it just isn't an issue. You don't have to finish suiting up until the wetsuit folks do, and they're hot, too.

For me, it depends on how many day of consective diving. At 80F, I can do a day or maybe 2 days of 3 to 4 dives with 3mm full suit. If I were to do a week long live aboard, I will definitely take a drysuit.

I use an O'neill semi dry for winter diving in Cayman. I'll add about 6 pounds extra lead. You can go without, but the cool winds tend to chill topside. The O'neill feels like a skin, but you are toasty warm. I plan on using it January in Brac..... Cheers

I ran a group down there for Thanksgiving. Water temps were in the mid-upper 70s at 100'. I got a little chilled on the first day wearing nothing but a rash guard and shorts, so switched to a well used 3mm wetsuit (more like 1.5mm these days) and was comfortable for the rest of the trip.

Have a great time!

I live in Curacao, water temp 28*C all year around and down to 40m deep, I dive in surf trunks and a 1.5mm seavest like this Aqua Lung US - Personal Aquatic Equipment for Recreational and Professional Use - Seavests, I spend more than 1 hr diving and never had cold, but that is just me, I see people that get cold with does temp, I particulary love it, that island you want to go is a little more up north than where I'm, maybe a little cold up there, but unless you like to carry extra that takes up a lot of space, I really don't see the point of it honestly

I don't even OWN a wetsuit. In fact, here's everything I'm packing right now for a Bonaire trip tomorrow...

FullSizeRender_3_.jpg

The DUI 30/30 "Tropical Drysuit" is about my favorite piece of dive gear. As a tropical suit it's lightweight, has no boots built-in. I was even featured wearing it on the DUI website last week...

DUI drysuit owner Ray Purkis

Carib_112113_033.jpg

Tropical dry suits have a very specific use... In order to use one properly, you must exit the water from shore in a crowded area, then immediately proceed to take the dry suit off. Must be wearing a tux underneath. That is all.

Tropical dry suits have a very specific use... In order to use one properly, you must exit the water from shore in a crowded area, then immediately proceed to take the dry suit off. Must be wearing a tux underneath. That is all.

I've come close to that. In Bonaire a few years ago my buddy and I ended a night dive at Plaza Resort by exiting the water, doffing gear, unzipping drysuit, and stepping right up to the beach bar in khaki shorts and a polo shirt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom