Dry Suit in Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i always bring a 3mm hood, 5mm full suit . id rather be warm than hypothermic
less risk of decomp problems too.
they dont give awards for toughest diver

difference diving wet is you can flood the suit and cool off......

I have never, ever, been warm enough in a wet suit that I wanted to cool off!

---------- Post added December 22nd, 2014 at 09:22 AM ----------

I have made a number of trips to Riveria Maya and was always cold in a 3 mm wetsuit. This November I was diving in Hawaii in a 3 mm wetsuit and was always cold. In all cases some people were diving in swim trunks, some in 3 mm and some in 5 mm. It all depends on your personal tolerance to the cold.

I don't know if I am going to Riveria Maya again this winter but if I do I will be taking my Fusion drysuit with me.

I've used a drysuit for diving 28C water and surface temps in the 70s and 80s, but I don't own anything else just now.
It couldn't have been that radical a decision because all our Egyptian guides were diving dry too, at least more the majority of dives. A membrane suit with just long underwear (sports/"technical" stuff that does not hold moisture) on underneath is comfortable is surprisingly warm temps. I'm also not so sure a drysuit is any hotter in the sunshine than a full wetsuit, it's also comfortable no matter how nippy a cold night dive, morning dive or wind might feel and really easy to rinse your hair, step out of the suit & go - no wet skin & no wet swimsuit.
Keeping the suit and seals in proper repair is however a bigger concern whereas a hole in your wetsuit isn't a big deal.

Yes -- the real downside of a dry suit for travel is the possibility of a failure you can't fix. I had a zipper go on a Mexican cave diving trip; not only was it not possible to rent a dry suit in the area, it wasn't possible to rent a thick wetsuit, either. All rentals were geared toward people who do short dives and few of them, so they were shorties and 3 mil full suits, which won't do me much good on 3 hour cave dives. Using a user-replaceable seal system solves the issue of torn seals, though, which is probably the biggest risk. Most shell suits can have small holes patched rather easily using duct tape as a temporary fix, so it's the seals and the zipper that can give you real grief.

Appreciate some input... I'm heading to Grand Cayman... any reason not to dive Dry or do I leave the drysuit home and go 3mm. I don't have issues with the temp and if I did dive dry I'd not need my inner liner just the shell.

Thoughts?

Only one negative: you will be mocked (in a nice way) by everyone else in your group. But actually dry divers are becoming less and less rare in the Caribbean.

---------- Post added December 23rd, 2014 at 01:24 PM ----------

... and the hassle of humping it down there of course.

In fact, my dry suits (any of them) do not weigh significantly more than a 5 mil suit (my minimum) and a set of X-shorts (for pockets) and a set of booties for my feet. We have weighed them all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom