Dry suit questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t know if I should create a separate thread: I am thinking of buying my first dry suit.

I probably need some kind of custom fit as I’d wear M for pants and L to XL for the torso. Prices for good quality dry suits seem to be really expensive.I looked at Otter and Seaskin ...

I can afford the expense but would you recommend me to get a cheaper one and then get more experience before to buy an expensive one. I couldn’t find one that could fit me on ‘UK Scuba stuff for sale’ for a second hand one :)

My only previous experience in drys suit are two dives in a rental which leaked and it wasn’t fun to have to adjust for losing air every 5-10 seconds :)

I don’t know if I should create a separate thread: I am thinking of buying my first dry suit.

I probably need some kind of custom fit as I’d wear M for pants and L to XL for the torso. Prices for good quality dry suits seem to be really expensive.I looked at Otter and Seaskin ...

Are you saying Seaskin is expensive? Or they are not good quality?

I got a Seaskin Nova about 6 weeks ago. 8 dives on it so far. In US dollars, it was very inexpensive. I would say it as good quality as the Bare and Waterproof drysuits I own or have owned. And, being made to measure, it fits me very well Better than any other suit I've tried.

Are you saying Seaskin is expensive? Or they are not good quality?

I got a Seaskin Nova about 6 weeks ago. 8 dives on it so far. In US dollars, it was very inexpensive. I would say it as good quality as the Bare and Waterproof drysuits I own or have owned. And, being made to measure, it fits me very well Better than any other suit I've tried.
I think I find them expensive in general, Seaskin looks cheaper but once you add pockets and valves and Kubi gloves they get close to 1000£.

As for the quality it seems that most people who had them love them while a few others have had leaks. But overall it seems to be a good choice !

I lean towards Otter at moment, even though they are more expensive, since I never heard a bad thing and heard about people still using a decade old Britannica.

BlueTrin, if you are UK based and need a custom fit for a fair price, maybe pop by Othree in Portland? Unless you've already decided on trilaminate, as they only make neoprene suits.

@BlueTrin

Check out an AquaLung dealer and see about trying on a Fusion. The way they’re cut is meant to fit a wide range of body sizes. Loose cut waterproof inner layer and an outer skin that compresses the inner layer to your body. Some people find a better fit with inner core and outer skin of different sizes. They only have stock sizes, no custom. Doesn’t work for all people, but it’s worth a try.

I was very surprised when I found one that fit me recently. Dives brilliantly. Takes a bit used to getting into. I did a recent thread “Confessions of a former Fusion hater” you can easily find in this section.

The most important thins is that a drysuit fits. To me 1300 is a bit pricey for second hand Waterproof drysuit which may not fit perfectly and has wrong sized boots. you could get a brand new Otter or a few hundred more and a cheap Santi.

To me, spending 1300 on a fit that could have known problems or is ill fitting or isnt comfortable is worse than spending 2000 that will last longer, fit properly and is comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom