Dry Suit Sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tekkie

Reaction score
Hi,
I went diving today with the usual rental 7mm 2 piece and at only 50ft and 55F I froze my butt off. I am about 5' 5'' 138lbs and age 15, my question is, is a baggy dry suit ok for diving until I grow into it? Can I buy it a little big. I was looking at the cheep bare dry suit on leisure pro and it looked kind of nice and for only 485$ it wouldn't be too big of a loss if I grew out of it. Or should I just go Ebay.
Thanks
Tekkie

personally i think a drysuit that is too big causes problems and a lot of inconvienience while diving. I have had a drysuit that was too small and i hated it. A drysuit that is really obviously too big i would not recommend using. Just MHO

Bad Post,
What I ment to say is when is baggy too baggy. I know baggy can cause increased drag, but I am willing to put up with a little drag to stay warm. Is there any other problems that baggy can cause besides drag?
Tekkie

It's much harder to manage the gas in a baggy suit.
You'll probably also need more weight, since it will hold more air even when its "empty".

Wow, I'm not doing too good with posts today.:bonk:
Lets simplify this,
Say I am spose to wear a size small. Can I buy a medium and some gators to reduce some gas in the legs or would this be too much extra material still and the suit would be too baggy to dive in?
Tekkie

Persnally having owned a suit that was probably "too baggy", I'd avoid it.

Most drysuits an LDS will sell you if they are not custom fit will most likely be on the large size anyway. Gators can help, and yes you can dive a baggy suit, it's just more work and task loading than diving a suit that fits.

Do yourself a favor and buy the suit that fits the difference really is night and day. I understand that your concerned about growing out of it, but you'll probably want something different in a year or two anyway, you'll have a better idea of what you like and don't like about the suit you own, if you get a suit that doesn't fit you'll probably want something different a lot sooner.

Tekkie once bubbled...
Say I am spose to wear a size small. Can I buy a medium and some gators to reduce some gas in the legs or would this be too much extra material still and the suit would be too baggy to dive in?
Tekkie

So why are you so worried about growing out of it? Planning on hitting a cycle of roids or something? :eek:ut: Just kidding. Buy one that fits and eat like a bird so you dont grow :D

Back
Top Bottom