Dry Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kland84

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am in the market for a dry suit. I have never dived in one, but I'm going to take a class. I'm looking for recommendations... I live in Upstate NY. It gets cold here!!! Is there a recommended dry suit? I have tried to search previous posts, but I'm working off cellular data right now and the search function is slow.

Cost is not an issue, I just want something that will last a while. I will use the dry suit primarily in the NE.

Thanks for any help!

All decent quality suits will last a long time as long as you don't tear them up. Doing wreck penetrations is the kind of thing that can be very hard on suits, as is being rolled in the surf. Seals will wear out and can be replaced fairly easily. (It's even easier if you pay extra for field replaceable seals - but some people hate them). Eventually, in a few hundred or more dives the zipper will have to be replaced and that is not cheap.

My suggestion is to go with someone who sells a lot of dry suits because measurements are key to getting a good fit. And then have this person measure you and have them take responsibility that the suit they get in will fit you. Ideally, in a perfect world, you'd dive a suit of the size you plan to buy, but that is generally hard to arrange. Not always impossible, but hard. Suits like the fusion are an exception, they are highly flexible due to the design. But some people hate them.

The favorite suits of the people who I know who dive a lot are the dui flx extreme or the Santi E.motion or E.Motion PLUS suits. But they are mostly cave divers, they don't crawl through wrecks.

i would take a look at ursuit and the usia techniflex. the prices charged are very reasonable for those two.

i dive a fusion tech i picked up used from the rental stock of a lds. not as easy to get into it, but dives decently. previously had a usia, but the fit wasn't perfect from stock and didn't want to spend the money on a new mtm suit.

i would take a look at ursuit and the usia techniflex. the prices charged are very reasonable for those two.

i dive a fusion tech i picked up used from the rental stock of a lds. not as easy to get into it, but dives decently. previously had a usia, but the fit wasn't perfect from stock and didn't want to spend the money on a new mtm suit.

My USIA Techniflex was only $150 extra for the custom cut. Contact Mike with Dive Right in Scuba. They're a really big drysuit dealer and will help you find the right suit for you.

Part of my drysuit course was "how to select a drysuit and options." It's usually a hindsight thing, though, as most (though I suspect not all) students show up for class with their own drysuits. Still, it makes me think that it couldn't hurt to make contact with an instructor (or two) in your area first, and see what they prefer. Sure, different shops will push different brands, so you know you have to weigh all the information from all sources before you make a decision. I chose Santi because the GUE crowd I dived with--instructors especially--dive Santi. But there are lots of good brands.

And as KevinNM said, if at all possible, get measured at a dive shop by people who sell lots of drysuits, who themselves dive that brand, and therefore know what they are doing. (Maybe the same people include your drysuit instructor.) They can help you decide on options and, most importantly, take responsibility for errors in the order. I measured myself at home using what I thought was a very precise measuring chart from the manufacturer, and went through the entire process several times to ensure no errors. Yet there were errors with my order, and I attributed them to other parties involved--manufacturer, distributor, etc. My complaint bounced back and forth for months among the dealer, manufacturer, distributor and me, with no one taking responsibility, until the dealer and I finally reached a sort of settlement. Never again for me.

I'd say rent a couple first to see which type you like. I like my compressed neoprene suit as it is a little warmer and more flexible than a trilam suit. Others prefer trilam suits and find them more flexible.

90% of divers in my area use Santi, DUI, or Ursuit, with a few Rofos, Black Pearl, and Bare making appearances.

If you are planning to take a class at a facility that sells suits, especially if they sell more than one brand, ask if you can have a rental. It is not easy to judge whether or not a fit is correct if you don't have any experience with suits. You really do want them to be sufficiently roomy in right places and reasonably form-fitting in others. Being a rather expensive piece of kit, it sucks to get it wrong. I own two suits, and neither is 100% perfect, although both sure felt so at the moment of purchase.

In any case, I would strongly recommend a front entry, diagonally zipped, trilaminate suit. Metal vs plastic zipper is a perpetual topic for discussion. I have plastic zippers on both suits; 100 dives on one and 50 on the other, and can't complain about them.

Have a P-valve installed. :)

Last edited:
Have a P-valve installed. :)
Depends totally on what type of diving the OP is going to use the suit for.

In my neck of the woods, everybody dives dry. From the freshly minted OW diver to the hardcore techie (of which there are significantly fewer than OW divers). Only the techies are willing to pay the cost and take the hassle of a P-valve. The rest of us just make sure to take a leak just before zipping up. Unless you've overdosed on coffee or overdone the hydration thing, holding it for an hour or so shouldn't be too hard. And for normal single tank diving, an hour run time is usually enough for most. More than that, and either your fingers are getting cold, you're becoming low on gas since most people use a bit more gas when diving dry or your buddy wants to surface due to the same reasons.

I can comfortably count on one hand the number of times I've had to cut a dive short from having to pee. So for me, neither the cost of a P-valve nor the hassle of gluing a condom to my junk (and peeling it off afterwards!) is worth it. As always, everybody's mileage varies.

I can comfortably count on one hand the number of times I've had to cut a dive short from having to pee

Fair enough. Yet I would rather down a large bottle of water right before the dive and be well hydrated without having to think about consequences. A P-valve is a small price to pay for this comfort, especially since the OP mentioned that the cost is not much of a concern.

I see quite a few Whites Fusion suits, crushed neoprene DUI drysuits...and the occasional High Tide and Apollo suit here in cold Pacific Northwest waters. I dive a DUI but cant really speak for any others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom