DrySuit and regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefugee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello All,

This may be a very stupid question. I was wondering if you can use the same regulator (1st stage and 2nd stage) with a wetsuit and drysuit.

I currently have a regulator that I use with my wetsuit. With a dry suit, you would have 5 hoses - the regulator, the octo, the BC inflater, the SPG, and the drysuit inflater hose. If you use the same regulator for the wetsuit, what do you do with the drysuit inflater hose? Or do you have purchase a regulator set for the wetsuit and another one for the drysuit?

Thanks
Minh

Minh,
I would use the same regs... just take off the drysuit hose and put a port plug in. If you don't have your port plug ask your LDS or PM me I might have some laying around

Some of the guys here in Monterey using doubles will leave their drysuit hose on for back up in case their argon fails or runs out. Then they lay it flat against the tanks and use it some times for air guns and bag shoots...

Ben

With a whip (and as a Cal Aggie) you'll have to enroll in the more scuba classes at the university! :D

Seriously, as mentioned just remove it and plug it if you intend to dive wet for a while. I tend to leave mine on and it's always ready for the drysuit. Just stow it somewhere, or coil it out of the way.

If your first stage does not have an available low pressure port, then yes, you will have to purchase a different 1st stage. You need one high pressure port and four low pressure ports. I tried to configure a cheap piston reg with a drysuit hose and wasn't happy with the configuration and ended buying another reg. I use the same reg when diving dry or wet with a single tank and leave the drysuit inflator hose on the reg, I just coil it around the top of the tank.

just tuck the spare drysuit hose out the way, it seal shut when not attached, i wouldn't keep taking it off.

i just loop mine through the gap between the 1st stage, the bcd and the tank.

As everyone has stated here, I don't usually bother with the Drysuit hose. I just tuck it out of the way. But now since I have a few different regulators I have one that I use as a "warm water" setup without the drysuit hose.

Jeremy

JKSteger:
As everyone has stated here, I don't usually bother with the Drysuit hose. I just tuck it out of the way. But now since I have a few different regulators I have one that I use as a "warm water" setup without the drysuit hose.

Jeremy

I do the same thing, I have my coldwater apeks regs (din) with drysuit hose. and i just picked up an Aqualung Titan off ebay (yoke) to use on vacations down south.

The reason for this is last year in cozumel on the first dive day my tank bcd regs fell when the boat did an unexpected U -turn and my Din to Yoke adaptor broke.. well I couldn't use my regs or my computer all week... learned my lesson

I do the same as many divers here do, and some of my local buddies do. I just take that hose and tuck it out of the way making sure it's not going to come free and get hooked on something.

I look at it as a wear point if you keep removing and replacing it. Normally not an issue since I dive dry most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom