Drysuit and weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefugee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello All,

I just recently bought a DUI CLX450 drysuit (arriving at the end of the month). The undergarment is a Bare T200. I am wondering approximate how much weights I will need. My BCD (brand new) is a Dive Rite Transplate (SS) with a venture wing and 16lbs (total) weight system (although I can force 20lbs into the system). I really like the 16lb system because it's so much smaller. Now I am wondering if I should have gone with the 32lb weight system instead. I am 5'6" 125-130 lbs. I have very little body fat.

When I was in Monterey and wearing 7mm FJ, I was using my ScubaPro Knighthawk with 26lbs. I know that I was overweight. When I was in Cozumel, I was wearing a 3mm and needed 10lbs. I am still new to diving, so I am sure I will drop more weights as I get more experienced.

My question: Will I be able to get away with the 16lbs system (20lbs) or should I return the weigh system and get a 32lb system instead?

Minh

I have the same suit, am the same height and weight, and using a similar thickness undergarment. On average, I use 16#s total weight with a steel tank.

Don -

I was wondering what BC you are using? The Dive Rite SS plate is 6lbs, so I am wondering if I want to use 10 lbs in the weight system or 16lbs in the weight system. BTW - I thought I was the only guy who was 5'6" and 125lbs. :p Thanks for the reply!

Minh

reefugee:
I was wondering what BC you are using?

Whoops. I'm using the Hammerhead SS BP and Heavy STA (12#s total) with a Apex WTX-3 wing. I usually wear 4-6#s on a belt.

I should also note that I have Jet Fins. Those are negative as well.

For you, the TransWeight 16s are the best choice. The 32s are massive, especially on our size waists. Since the SS plate is 6#s, you'd need 10-12#s in the pouches.

Start out with 14#s in the pouches (total of 20#s) and do a weight check. Depending on the amount of air you like in your suit, you weight usage will be different. I don't vacuum seal myself and I don't maintain large bubbles.

If you find out you need a few more pounds, then a good add-on would be the XS Scuba weight pockets that you can thread on the cam bands.

You should be absolutely fine with the 16s.
I am 6'2 with more than 200 lbs. I dive the CLX450 with Fourth Element underwear, a Transplate SS and a 120 steel tank. The total weight I'm adding to this is maximum 7-9 lbs depending lake or ocean diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom