Drysuit certification really needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope this is a good place to ask. I found this old topic in searching about drysuits. I am new to diving and to this forum. I have 5 logged dives so far. Being new to diving I am dying to dive to go diving as much as possible. Being from Tennessee there are no places except quarry’s to dive. The water is pretty chilly right now. I have been looking into purchasing a drysuit. I have found a scuba pro Everdry 4 for a great price. Not knowing much about them and the research I have done it seems like a good suit. All this to ask my question haha. Being I have 5 logged dives, am I biting off more than I can chew? The drysuit certification here is rather pricey! Seems overpriced compared to my open water, advance open water, and nitrox certification prices.
Next question. Should I take the course? Or do some pool session myself and learn how to use it. I am sorry this is a lengthy post. Just trying to learn as much as I can before Investing. I absolutely love diving and plan to do it year round so seems like the drysuit is what I need. Would love to have any input or advice you guys and gals could offer! Thank you!!!
With only a handful of dives I suggest you do a course. It isn’t strictly necessary if you are already comfortable but so early you’ll be quite loaded without the extra complication of the drysuit and possibly overwhelmed with it.

Good point. Some time ago, there was a trend here on SB about having the minimum capacity wing possible. I dive single (steel) tank setup, but both from experience and from calculations I know that 30# is the absolute minimum lift I need given my gear config. My wing has a 40# lift, which gives me a pretty comfortable margin. I can live with the extra drag.

If your wing/BCD isn't able to float your rig including any fixed or ditchable weights on your rig, you might want to reconsider your BCD's capacity.
Aside from lift, if your BCD was intended for tropical diving:
  • It might not even fit over the added layers and bulk of drysuit and underwear
  • Might not be able to accommodate enough integrated weight without adding a weight belt
  • Might not be rugged enough for frequent use with maximum weights loaded. (for instance, Aqualung Zuma travel BCD)

I've never had a drysuit course, and would like to think I could rent a suit if, say, I dove Scapa Flow by simply pointing out I dive one routinely at home. If I have my own reg set, the drysuit inflation hose might be a clue.

That said, I'd been diving for 10 years before I first tried a drysuit, and 20 years before I started using one regularly. All the other niceties of diving had been pretty well worked out. For a new diver, I'd say get a course in and dive as much as you can to get used to it. It adds a level of complexity that a wetsuit doesn't have.

10-4
Thank you all for the comments. From what one of my instructors said my bcd would accommodate a drysuit.
From the course or not I’ll prolly take the course if I decide to buy the drysuit. Trying to decide is the hard thing at the moment haha. One side of me wants it because I want to dive. The other side of me is iffy cause I don’t like the cold haha. I truly appreciate you all taking the time to respond!!

10-4
Thank you all for the comments. From what one of my instructors said my bcd would accommodate a drysuit.
From the course or not I’ll prolly take the course if I decide to buy the drysuit. Trying to decide is the hard thing at the moment haha. One side of me wants it because I want to dive. The other side of me is iffy cause I don’t like the cold haha. I truly appreciate you all taking the time to respond!!

If you don’t like cold then don’t do it. Depends on how badly you want to dive, though. I love cold and winter. I’m a polar bear. :wink:

Good point. Some time ago, there was a trend here on SB about having the minimum capacity wing possible. I dive single (steel) tank setup, but both from experience and from calculations I know that 30# is the absolute minimum lift I need given my gear config. My wing has a 40# lift, which gives me a pretty comfortable margin. I can live with the extra drag.

If your wing/BCD isn't able to float your rig including any fixed or ditchable weights on your rig, you might want to reconsider your BCD's capacity.

A dry suit has more inherent buoyancy and for some tech instructors is considered a back up to BC failure. You gain lift from a dry suit, it's why you wear more weight.

There's a whole lot more to wing lift selection and at 5 OW dives, I wouldn't concern yourself too much yet. When you start diving steel doubles, know that you better be thinking about that.

If you want to dive a dry suit, rent one or try one in a pool - it's weird at first but really a great way to dive, just takes a small amount of skills and knowledge - that's why they have the class.

A dry suit has more inherent buoyancy and for some tech instructors is considered a back up to BC failure. You gain lift from a dry suit, it's why you wear more weight.

There's a whole lot more to wing lift selection and at 5 OW dives, I wouldn't concern yourself too much yet. When you start diving steel doubles, know that you better be thinking about that.

If you want to dive a dry suit, rent one or try one in a pool - it's weird at first but really a great way to dive, just takes a small amount of skills and knowledge - that's why they have the class.

Thank you!

Dry suits trap air. Imagine being swimming vertically down then all the air is by your feet and you can’t get horizontal because you never learned. Yes, you need to get dry suit certified.

Dry suits trap air. Imagine being swimming vertically down then all the air is by your feet and you can’t get horizontal because you never learned. Yes, you need to get dry suit certified.
It’s not that complicated, he can shown by a buddy in a pool or safe environment ...

I personally think it’s more than just a buddy showing you.

One of the skills is over inflate the suit inverted, tuck and roll to right yourself - pretty easy.

One big deal is dealing with coming up from depth, where your overinflated valve is set and controlling your ascent - easy imo, but not understanding it or doing it wrong can get you hurt - something I feel is more than a buddy teaching you.

Caring for your suit, knowing that enriched mixes can harm the suit long term, using the power inflator in cold water, regs freezing - probably missed something.

Take the class - it’s a big investment that opens up a lot of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom