Drysuit Class, Dec 8 or 9 @ CSSP (Terrel)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
For all of you Texans in the Dallas Ft Worth area that would like to learn how to dive dry, check out this announcement from Ron Carlo (master SDI instructor)

--------------------------------------
  • What: Dry Suit Course
    When: Dec 8 or 9 (Sat or Sun, depending on what's best for students)
    Where: Clear Springs Scuba Park (Terrell, TX)

Hi All -

The Drysuit class will follow the formats of both PADI and SDI, making it a more comprehensive program than just under one agency. Since it adheres to both standard sets, I can offer you either certification card (I realize some folks prefer one over another), at the completion. Be advised however, that since PADI certification processing is more expensive, the course cost would be an additional $10 if you go that route. Course cost is $75 (or $85) cash for 2 or more people.

I provide all necessary materials (paperwork, certification applications, pictures, etc) as part of the course. It is designed as a one-day course, with a minimum of 2 dives plus an acclimation dive (more dives may be needed/desired to improve your comfort level), to a depth of not more than 60 feet. We will do an extensive briefing before each dive, and follow the dives with more debriefings to reinforce the lessons learned.

If you want to "get a leg-up" on the preliminaries, the PADI Advanced Open Water manual is a good introduction - but like a lot of motor-skill learning, the best way to learn something is actual hands-on training and experience.

Plan to bring a couple layers of sweats (or similar) to put under the suit. Remember that the shell-type suit (as opposed to the neoprene-type) does not provide any warmth, it is only supposed to keep you dry inside - while you provide the amount of insulation needed. I recommend the polypropylene-type longjohns, plus at least one more layer of fairly-thick Thinsulate (or equivalent) hunter-type sweats. If unavailable (or if you're like me and get cold easily), bring a couple extra layers of regular sweat pants and sweater in any case, but cotton is not as efficient at wicking sweat away from the body. We will cover this, and a whole lot more, when we discuss the actual drysuit concepts at the lake.

BTW, most regulator first-stages have an extra low-pressure port to attach the inflator-hose, so be sure yours has an available port. I understand the folks at Terrell provide the suits as well as the extra hose. Note that I will be available 8 or 9 Dec 01 to conduct the course (the date was originally set for 2 December, but there was a conflict).

Please let me know if you are interested, and we will finalize plans. I'll be happy to answer any more questons, and/or help you with other diving plans or courses.

Thanks!
    Ron
    (Contact TexasMike for his phone number)

"If you want just a scuba class, that's your business. But if you're
    interested in quality scuba education, that's my business."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom