Drysuit Dryer - w/Pics (Any comments from DUI?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The issue of how to dry a drysuit comes up often, and there are various approaches that are recommended. Everything from hanging, turning inside out, commercially made hangers (some with fans) to electric boot dryers rigged to take on a full drysuit.

Other folks prefer to take on the challenge themselves with a Home Depot credit card, a box saw, and a half-hour of spare time!

Here's my version of a home-made Drysuit Dryer. (I made it three years ago, but just decided to snap some pictures today.) Total cost: about $20 for PVC pipe, a DC fan, and a 12v adapter...

DSD-3.jpg

Everything is glued except for the two long "leg" pieces, which simply pop in/out of place. This makes putting the suit on the dryer quite easy as you can simply slide these two pieces into the suit and then mount the suit onto the rest of the dryer.

The fan is a DC brushless* "high flow" type from Radio Shack, coupled to a 12v DC adapter, attached to the "open" end of one of the feet of the dryer:

DSD-1.jpg

The fan is set to blow IN to the dryer. With the entire unit sealed, the only way for the air to move is up into the feet and out through the holes drilled into the ends of the leg pieces:

DSD-2.jpg

The air then travels down the legs, torso, and out through the open zipper carrying moisture out of the suit.

The fan is nearly silent, but moves a surprising amount of air. I set it up "blowing in" instead of "sucking out" to avoid pulling moist air through the fan. The front parts of the base are a bit longer than needed, as I over-estimated the potential for the thing to tip with a suit on it. The base is heavy enough to prevent tipping without the need for the added length.

I find that this dryer will dry my DUI TLS-350 Trilam drysuit w/Turbo soles overnight, even if it's completely wet from a good rinsing. (Which I do pretty often since it's so easy to dry it now!)

Was wondering if anyone from DUI had any thoughts on the advisabilty of using such a contraption?

* It's important to use a DC motor, ideally brushless, to avoid creation of ozone which will do a number on your suit's seals. AC fans and/or heat are to be avoided for sure!

Hi -

Kathy with DUI. I meant to send this link to Dad - a.k.a Dick Long, yesterday. Just sent him an email to take a look. To me it looks great but I wanted to see what he thinks... as he knows more about this type of thing.

Thanks for posting -

Kathy

To RJP Your concept is a good one. This is the kind of thing I call "Tricks of the trade" and Kathy is in the process of making videos or asking people to make them to share Diver to Diver. I have made several versions simalar to take on boats that had the fan attached to a hanger with flexable tubes from a marine store hanging down the legs acomplishing the same thing. About the only improvement I can think of is to put a large T in the base to allow more air or less restriction to go from one side to the other. All fans have very low preasue and the goal is to keep the back preasure to a minimum. I like the idea of easy brake down for storage. Kathy is ther any way for him to share his idea with other divers? Dick Long

Hi RJP and Dad -

Absolutely! And of course having the post here allows anyone to have a look at his design. We could also have a link to this page or create on on the DUI website. Depends on what RJP would like to do.

Thanks!!

Great contraption :)

I wonder how much more hassle it would be to just have two fans instead of a bigger cross tube?

Dick .. we need some pics of your boat hanger/tube contraption as well

About the only improvement I can think of is to put a large T in the base to allow more air or less restriction to go from one side to the other.

I wonder how much more hassle it would be to just have two fans instead of a bigger cross tube?

I had though of a second fan, and some have suggested it as well in other threads. While hypothetically I can see the reason for a second fan, I can tell you that in practice it works fine the way it is with just one. The airflow is pretty even between the vents on each leg.

The only reason I could see having two fans would be to simply increase the overall airflow. However, it does dry the suit overnight, and I really don't need it any sooner than that!

:D

Hi RJP and Dad -

Absolutely! And of course having the post here allows anyone to have a look at his design. We could also have a link to this page or create on on the DUI website. Depends on what RJP would like to do.

Thanks!!

Feel free to put the pictures and text on the DUI site if you like. From your perspective I think that would be better than sending people OFF your site once you went to all the trouble to get them there!

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom