Drysuit for Monterey Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefugee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

My fiancee and I are recently certified divers. So far, we have only dove at Breakwater in a farmer john 7mm wetsuit. For the most part, the two piece 7mm wetsuit hasn't been bad at all. However, we are now looking at drysuits. I am undecided between a Bare XCD2 Tech, Bare Trilam HD Tech, and the DUI CLX450. I am leaning towards the Bare Trilam HD Tech because it's $500 less expensive than the DUI CLX450. I was wondering what type of undergarment most people ware with their drysuit. For $1500, I can get the Bare Trilam HD, cuff ring, T100 undergarment, gloves and hood.

Any other recommendation for drysuit? I notice that most people diving at breakwater are wearing DUI drysuits over other drysuits. :p

Thanks
Minh

With drysuits you get what you pay for...

My first drysuit was a BARE Nex Gen and compared to my TLS 350 (Current DS) it's like going from jeans to pajamas... Anyway take your time and shop around... take a course then rent a couple to get a feel for what you like... see ya around the Breakwater

I have a T100 undergarment... in my closet. It was not enough warmth for me under my CLX450.

Otter Bay hood is great.

Don - What type of undergarment are you using? I wonder if the T200 is warm enough.

Ben - thanks for the response. I noticed that your comparing the Nex Gen (back entry) to a TLS350 (front entry). I don't think that's a fair comparison. How would a Bare front entry (Trilam HD) compare to a DUI front entry (TLX450)? I think the thing I am most concerned about is the DUI Zip Seal vs the Bare Cuff Ring system. I did notice that most people who dive DS at Breakwater are in DUI drysuits.

The package that I am looking at is a complete package. It comes with undergarment , gloves, hood, and boots.

Mihn,
It wasn't really the entry that was the issue with the Nexgen vs TLS it was more the cut. It seems like the TLS was less restricting.

I have a Mobby's Comfort Shell undergarment. It works okay, though I think that I just get cold easily. Was able to do 103 minute dive last weekend, and the most I could do in the T100 was 45 minutes.

A lot of people do dive DUI suits, and I have a love/hate relationship with mine. I like that the CLX is rugged and it drys quickly, but for about 6 months, I was constantly patching holes in it. My wife's CLX, while custom fit, is really baggy in the legs and is impossible to self doff.

I've been jealously eyeing a friend's Diving Concept 2mm compressed neoprene suit. But since I never dove it, I can't really comment besides I really like the fit of the suit.

As another datapoint...

I dive a TLS350 in monterey with 300-weight DUI polartec undergarments. I wear a fleece vest over it too, and it is fine for me in Monterey. I ditch the vest in "warmer water" such as san diego/channel islands in the summer. If I was doing longer deco/techie dives, I might want something warmer (not sure), but this works for me for 60-minute dives in Monterey/Carmel.

I would also probably get a thicker hood before upgrading my undies. I'm currently using a 3-mil hood and those otter-bay hoods look awfully toasty.

I would recommend against the TLS back-entry model. I have no experience with other manufacturers, but I used a TLSse before (same stock size as my current suit) and found that it fit much worse than mine does. I think it is just cut differently and in odder proportions. Not worth the cost savings IMHO.

I never thought about asking about the hood thickness.

Ben - the Trilam HD Tech has Bares ATR (Automatic Torso Recoil). IT gives the suit a little flexibility between the top and the bottom. Do you know how the seals compare. I noticed that DUI uses the cone seal - whereas the Bare uses the bottle type.

I am planning on heading out to Monterey on September 9th & 10th. Hopefully I will see someone wearing a Bare drysuit and be able to ask more questions.

Thanks again for the responses so far. :D

Minh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom