Drysuit Leak or Sweat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dubious

Contributor
Reaction score
I finally was able to get the DUI CF300 I bought from scubaboard into open water on Saturday. Up until that time I had only used it in a few pool dives when the air temp was much cooler. I will explain the day of diving if it helps with the question.

Is it normal to sweat so much in your undergarments that they can be wrung out or is that a sign of a leak?

The air temp was just below 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Putting on my undergarments seemed insane in such hot temperatures but I knew the water temp would be in the low 50's below the first thermocline. I put on my light polartec baselayer I picked up from an army surplus store along with the used Fourth element Arctic top and bottom I bought from scubaboard.

The first dive was 52 minutes with a bottom temp of 52 degrees Fahrenheit I felt cool but not cold except for my I hands. I had forgotten to put on my glove liners which I will blame on not using them while in the pool. Getting out of the water I felt comfortable. I had thought the water was in the suit because my feet were sloshing but it turned out to just be water sitting in the boots over my neoprene socks.

For the surface interval, I did not really see the need to fully doff the drysuit. I removed the top leaving the suspenders in place. I removed my artic top which was quite damp. I hung it on our canopy. My base layer was soaked. Durning the surface internal several spectators stopped to ask about the stories they heard about the quarry we were diving. We were also stopped by a brand new diver asking questions about where things were since none of the platforms were marked.

The second dive I felt a bit cooler in the drysuit compared to the first dive. The computer recorded 53 degrees Fahrenheit. I felt wet/damp. We cut this dive a bit short. I was worried about the single diver plus we had been working on descending and ascending to get practice venting our drysuits. With a bottom time of 31 minutes we surfaced and saw the new diver we met had his BCD floating in the water. We asked him if he wanted to dive with us. We waited about 15 minutes for him to get his kit on while we floated near our dive flag which was tied off on the 30 foot platform. It was warm floating there. The dive computer logged 100-degree surface temp, but obviously that was just the sun heating the computer up while on the surface.

I was cooler on the third dive, especially at the beginning. I could feel the dampness of my undergarments. Once again I was cool but not cold. It felt about the same as diving our 7mm wetsuit which is what I used last year. After 33 minutes, we surfaced again and chatted with the new diver before swimming to shore.

Once again, I felt comfortable during the surface interval even though it was hot outside however this time I needed to use the bathroom/porta potty, so fully doffed my drysuit and the artic undergarments. I was also going to make lunch so it just felt better to get out of the drysuit. My artic top was pretty wet but my pants seemed soaked. I hung the undergarments up and they were dripping. I was able to wring out my wool socks.

On our final dive, I put the damp undergarments back on. I left the wool socks behind and used the artic socks I had with me instead. The bottom temp was 51 degrees Fahrenheit. As with past dives, I was cool but not cold. After the dive the artic undergarments seemed to be about the same dampness as when I started.

Throughout all of the dives, I did not feel any water moving through the suit. Sometimes an area would feel colder than another, but it was never in the same place. I know that while in the pool that my left arm would get a little wet from the low profile apeks dump valve. I did not feel any water come through the valve but I wonder if I was so sweaty I just didn't notice it.

Is it normal to sweat so much in thicker undergarments or is it more likely I had a small leak somewhere? In the PADI drysuit DVD, they talk about feeling aleak. I think the example they gave was a zipper that was not shut all the way. At no point did I feel water pouring into the suit. I was convinced there was likely a small leak until my wife fully doffed her drysuit. While she removed her upper artics between each dive she kept on the bottoms. At the end of the day her bottoms were quite wet as well, but maybe not as wet as mine.

If it was likely just sweat, should I be fully doffing the drysuit between dives? I guess I just don't know what is normal. As I said in the beginning, it was weird putting on such thick undergarments in the middle of the summer.

In my experience, being able to wring moisture out is more indicative of a leak than excessive sweating. The former definitely feels wet when you touch it, whereas sweat just feels damp or aggressively damp.

For troubleshooting, I suggest checking the following:
  • Make sure that your dry zipper is able to fully dock and be closed.
  • If the suit has detachable wrist seal assemblies, check to make sure that they're fully engaged and not leaking.
  • If the suit has a detachable neck seal assembly, check to make sure it's fully engaged and not leaking.
  • Check the dump valve to ensure that it's screwed in tightly/not leaking.
  • Check the inflation assembled to ensure that it's not leaking.
  • Look over the seams to see if there are any rips, tears, bad stitching, etc.
If you don't see anything obvious during your check that you can fix, take it into your shop for a leak test.

Agree with previous post, will add wring out wet would likely leave you severely dehydrated.

as part of the inspection I would suggest a very close inspection of the seals, stretch them over a finger to show and hidden holes. You can do your own leak check by sealing the neck and if you have dry gloves put those on and if not seal the wrist seals, inflate the suit and do a soap check looking for bubbles

Thank you for both of your replies.

inflate the suit and do a soap check looking for bubbles

I did a leak test like this after replacing the fixed dry gloves which were leaking when I got the suit (a different thread) since I had enough soapy water mixed up. I will try this again.

Check the dump valve to ensure that it's screwed in tightly/not leaking.

In past pool dives I did have damp/wet sleeve near the dump valve. It was suggested I close the valve 2 or 3 clicks which I did, but maybe this is still a source of the problem. Would the undergarments wick that dump valve water throughout the whole suit?

The dump is unlikely to get that much water everyplace unless it really bad. I would start by a very close inspection of the neck seal followed by the zipper. I recently found a seam leak by video taping myself on a dive to pinpoint the leak area.

Are you neck and wrist seals rolled at all? That can introduce the potential for a slow, consistent leak during the dive.

Are you neck and wrist seals rolled at all? That can introduce the potential for a slow, consistent leak during the dive.

Is a rolled neck seal leak slow enough where I wouldn't notice it? It is really hard for me to check my neck seal with the fixed dry gloves. My wife did check my kneck seal but maybe it was still rolled. My bottoms seemed to be wetter than the top unless the garments just wicked it downwards, especially when we were sitting at the surface waiting for the other diver.

If you can put dry gloves on it, then you can also put a properly sized plastic bowl in the neck. Zip up the suit and take it to a swimming pool if available. You can start to submerge the suit section by section and look for leaks. You can also inflate it on land and then run over it with a soapy sponge or spay to look for bubbles.

I find submerging it works a lot better. I just went through this last week with a small leak in my suit. I found that part of the tape holding down the zipper had started to lift. I fixed it with a little aquaseal and taping over the failing part of the original tape.

If you can put dry gloves on it, then you can also put a properly sized plastic bowl in the neck. Zip up the suit and take it to a swimming pool if available. You can start to submerge the suit section by section and look for leaks.

I will give this a try. We will likely not be out diving for another month due to my sister-in-law only be able to come to watch our kids once per month.

If you can put dry gloves on it, then you can also put a properly sized plastic bowl in the neck. Zip up the suit and take it to a swimming pool if available. You can start to submerge the suit section by section and look for leaks. You can also inflate it on land and then run over it with a soapy sponge or spay to look for bubbles.

I find submerging it works a lot better. I just went through this last week with a small leak in my suit. I found that part of the tape holding down the zipper had started to lift. I fixed it with a little aquaseal and taping over the failing part of the original tape.
I like this method too, until something happens like the neck obstruction popping out :mad: like happened to me last week, POP full of water:wink:

Back
Top Bottom