Drysuit opinions sought

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have very limited experience in a dry suit, and non of it in BC as of yet (although that'll change in October), however I'll quickly relay my experience.

I used a bi-laminate Whites suit for all of my confined and OW dry suit training. Admittedly the whole process was foreign to me at the start as I was learning a new skill and the dry suit another task loading item I had to learn to dive with.

Fast-forward to the Whites Demo Day hosted by my LDS. I'd heard about the difficulties some people experience when initially donning the Fusion suits so I wasn't surprised when I had some minimal difficulty in donning the 1st time. What did surprise me was the incredible mobility and fit of the suit in the water. Holy cow! Compared to what I'd been using it was an unbelievable difference. End result: I ordered a Fusion Tech with neoprene neck seal and pockets and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival.

Cheers!
:D

My wife got me a bare drysuit off eBay new for 500 bucks. Been a year and everything is like new even after 50 dives. I put a pocket on it myself and will be putting a pee valve in myself. It's perfect, not pretty. Doesn't have to be. Keep you dry and let's you move. Get a good undergarment... A weezle.

This was our group dive at Whytecliff in January:

http://www.unifiedteamdiving.com/gr...chment/download?id=2666155:UploadedFi38:51987 (Sorry it's a link and not an image, but the photo is too big for this format.)

The picture says a great deal, I believe. (And no, this wasn't organized by White's!)

That picture is hilarious! Drink the kool-aid — get a White's!! ;-) :coffee::rofl3:

I can pretty much tell which LDS people go to just by what they are wearing. Not to pick on any particular LDS. The other major LDS in town pretty much only sells Halcion BCDs. I can just imagine what they tell their customers: "If you don't get a back inflate Halcion, you will DIE!!!" :wink: :wink:

yep your right Rob, I had the same experience with other LDS too, some say Halcyon some some Oxychek, some Bare, some Whites

Best thing to do is try them all on and see what you like the best!

Shame to order one of those suits if you screw up measuring yourself. Does no one in North America do a reasonably priced custom order drysuit?
... take a look one day (just not in the next 2 weeks due to vacation) in Dive and Sea in New Westminster. Talk with George. They are the local distributor for SeaTux.

These suits are pretty much indestructible and comfortable as hell, and George is the undisputed champion of custom suit measurements. They take some 50 measures for your body and the allowances for thermals are just right.

Someone mentioned customization... these are hand made here in BC. Paul will incorporate just about anything you want into one of his suits and is pretty reasonable. for those customizations.

I am not sure of the turn around time, possibly 2-3 weeks.

If you have to do repairs, ask Vjanelle about repair turnaround times... makes very convenient :p

I have the white fusion with the MK3 undies and only need 27lbs of lead (excluding back plate, add 5-6lbs here). For the feet I wear 2 pairs of wool sock and the 3mm neoprene socks. My longest dive in this so far is 110 minutes and I was not cold. I routinely dive between 60-90 minutes and am comfortable.

I will admit the fusion at first was a bit difficult to put on but after a few times I was ok with it.

And yes I am in the picture posted above by TSandM.

Last edited:
Hey Mike,

What kind of tank(s) are you using?

Me thinks if you were ever to try a crushed neoprene, you could loose the big thick puffy MK-3. With a thin undergarment and one thin pair of socks, you would still be toasty, and drop at least 6 lbs off your weight belt.

I can't afford to spend any more money right now plus I do not care for the crushed neo, personal preference. I don't mind the MK3 I it good. I have actually flooded and stayed warm for the remainder of the dive with it.

I have steel tanks though. the x7 100s

I have the white fusion with the MK3 undies and only need 27lbs of lead (excluding back plate, add 5-6lbs here). For the feet I wear 2 pairs of wool sock and the 3mm neoprene socks. My longest dive in this so far is 110 minutes and I was not cold. I routinely dive between 60-90 minutes and am comfortable.

I will admit the fusion at first was a bit difficult to put on but after a few times I was ok with it.

And yes I am in the picture posted above by TSandM.

The 27lbs+backplate+steel 100's (twins?) probably isn't far off from the 45lbs of lead I wear with no backplate and an Al80. I still don't understand why a drysuit system that is so much more bouyant than my old neoprenes can't keep me as warm, when I'd expect that all the extra trapped air should keep me warmer.
I don't have a wide social circle, but from what I've seen, people that switched from another brand of shell suit love the Fusion, while people that are used to a neoprene don't like it so much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom