DrySuit Repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best way to find leaks is to plug the neck and wrists with something then connect the inflate hose and pump it up. Then spray on water with washing up liquid in so you see the bubbles. Mark the spot with chalk so you can find it when the suit is dry.

I gave it a good scrub last night in the bathtub, much to my wife's delight :) ordered the sealant for the boots, so will give it another test when the boots dry, I'm pretty confident it will be dry as a bone

I gave it a good scrub last night in the bathtub, much to my wife's delight :) ordered the sealant for the boots, so will give it another test when the boots dry, I'm pretty confident it will be dry as a bone
Please let us know how it goes

Please let us know how it goes

Hi BlueTrin,

Well, I fixed the boots, they didn't leak, but as I laid down in the tub I felt water getting in from somewhere else but I could not quite figure out where, so I gave in and took it to get properly pressure tested and the seems have gone, the guy in the shop said once the seems start to go, they just continue to fail, so I will keep it as an emergency spare but will get another one.

The glue only cost me £5.00 from Amazon so no biggy.

Hi All,

Well, i'm chuffed to bits, I passed my open water over the weekend. I'm already getting my gear sorted out now so I can get in the water again as soon as possible.

Whilst we were in lock down, I got myself a drysuit off ebay, looks clean, only one issue is the boots / socks have a leak.

I went online and found a company that repairs drysuits, but I also found on Amazon a kit for around £6.00 to do it myself.

Whats the best way to tackle this, should I try and repair it myself or is it worth just paying the extra money and having it properly repaired.

Cheers

John[/QUOTE

Hello John,

First of all congratulations.

I'm not going to start by telling you what you should do, but what I would do.

A dry-suit is a major gear investment, I have well over four thousand of our Canadian dollars invested in mine. It totally isolates you from an environment that we don't belong in.

First glance looks by an untrained eye can be deceiving, if it floods, you could be in a world of hurt in a heartbeat.

A pin hole/pin holes, may not leak at the surface, but leak like crazy as the atmospheres change at depth.

You can't go far wrong by boxing it up, and sending it back to the manufacturer for a professional leak test, followed by professional assessment/repairs.

You then have an opportunity, based on a professional assessment if overall condition/original investment, warrant professional repairs.

If a professional advises the suits service life is over, you have your answer.

There's nothing wrong with E-Bay if you know what you're looking for and willing to trash your purchase upon receipt if it's anything less, for anything else E-Bay may not be the best choice.

I am a professional business person, and I know from where I speak.

Addendum: Looks like you have the answer I was afraid you were going to have., on a final note, I would not be using this suit as a backup.

Safe Diving,

Rose.

Hi Rose,

I agree with you, basically, the drysuit I had got now has a permanent home in the spare room, I doubt it will see the light of day again, at least until the day I have a clear-out and it gets binned...

So I decided to keep saving up and my dive buddy has offered me his suit at a fair price as he is getting himself a new one, I know his suit is clean and has no leaks and has been well maintained, for now, I will keep hiring a suit from the dive centre I'm associated with.

Our next dive in open water is the 1st November, so will absolutely need a suit that does not leak, haha or I will have popsicles for toes.

Thanks for the reply, I always appreciate peoples advise, especially as a new diver.

Take care, stay safe.

John

best way i found to plug the suit to test it is use water or soda bottles, fill with water and freeze them. put them in the wrist seals, maybe a wrap or two of masking tape. for the neck seal, use a 2 litre soda bottle full of water and frozen, a bleach bottle works on a larger neck seal

I can't wait now until my drysuit springs a leak and I can add some popsicle mix

Hi Rose,

I agree with you, basically, the drysuit I had got now has a permanent home in the spare room, I doubt it will see the light of day again, at least until the day I have a clear-out and it gets binned...

So I decided to keep saving up and my dive buddy has offered me his suit at a fair price as he is getting himself a new one, I know his suit is clean and has no leaks and has been well maintained, for now, I will keep hiring a suit from the dive centre I'm associated with.

Our next dive in open water is the 1st November, so will absolutely need a suit that does not leak, haha or I will have popsicles for toes.

Thanks for the reply, I always appreciate peoples advise, especially as a new diver.

Take care, stay safe.

John
Once I've replaced a suit I get rid of it. They will only go hard and brittle if not used.

I've now got mine back and diving again, I hated getting a damp shoulder. Water is toastie this time of year; we had 14'C last week, dropped a bit after the weekend's rain back to 13. Back out again tomorrow and Saturday.

Once I've replaced a suit I get rid of it. They will only go hard and brittle if not used.

I've now got mine back and diving again, I hated getting a damp shoulder. Water is toastie this time of year; we had 14'C last week, dropped a bit after the weekend's rain back to 13. Back out again tomorrow and Saturday.

I have a dive booked this Saturday in the local training pool, just to try out some new kit, but I'm booked in to go to Capernwray in Lancaster at the end of the month, I really can't wait for that.

Never dived there, fresh water is too cold. I’m spoiled with the Scottish Lochs.
What’s the temperature like in the Scottish Lochs in winter ?

I always assumed that it would be freezing cold in Winter in Scotland.

I was at Vobster and it’s already 9 degrees when you go around 30m

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom