Drysuit Replacement neck seal sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brauem

Registered
Reaction score
i am trying to decide what the best size neck seal to buy for my drysuit. some seal makers tell you the actual size of the seal and others only tell you the size range of the neck. In the case of the actual seal sizes... what compression is needed to seal on your neck?; 20% compression is a number if have seen. In the case of the seals that give neck size ranges, they vary by manufacturer... some say i need medium, another might say i need a large and yet another an XL. How does one make a choice and make sense out of it all?

what type of seal are you putting one. A latex seal is much more forgiving on the size than a neoprene seal. If I was on the border of a seal where i could go up or down on size I would go smaller becasue you can trim the seal opening to open up the size a bit but you cant shrink it at all. Also
seals will stretch a little over time so if you are loose but sealed when new then it will be leaking after awhile when it stretches out a bit. A neck seal should give you the same feeling that you had the first time you had to wear a necktie. Like you are going to strangle but yet you can still breath.

Have someone measure your neck for accuracy and then so with what the size chart says with no addition or subtraction.

The seal usually comes in one size...and then it gets trimmed- by you - or somebody at your LDS - to make sure its not snipped too much for your head to stretch through...but still keep water out. Like anything w/ material, go real slow and remember if you trim off too much and you are hosed. Make sure you only trim a little bit at a time. Is this seal a latex neck seal or maybe neoprene ? What sort of suit is this on? I'm a bigger fan of latex, but admittedly I'm kind of spoiled w/ my DUI zip seal system. What are you looking at ?

Back
Top Bottom