Drysuit squeeze and feet over head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. Add more air to your suit so you don't feel squeezed.

2. Stop dangling around upside down to keep the air going to your feet...when this happens the parts of your body lowest in the water column will squeeze down as the air will rise upwards.

3. Stay horizontal or very slightly head-up trim...to keep the air bubble focused around your torso.

4. If the air bubble in your suit is rolling around then perhaps you need a thicker undergarment that provides a little more separation between your body and the suit material and lofts better.

5. You may need to add some lead to adjust your balast to comfortably dive with more air in your suit.

6. Drysuit diving is not the same as wetsuit diving....if you don't accept that then you are bound to have a bad time.

7. The notion that the suit is for warmth and the BC/wing is for buoyancy makes sense but only after a certain point in terms of depth....for the first 15 meters of the water column (+/-) one needs to add air to reduce squeeze to be comfortable....that same air adds to buoyancy....there is no reason to add air to the BC until you are at a depth that the amount of air in your suit keeps you comfortable but you still need added buoyancy....if you are not comfortable then you should be adding air to the suit not the BC/wing.

8. I dive a fusion bullet...same inner suit as your KVR1, it just has a neoprene outer skin instead of a kevlar skin. The neoprene skin keeps thing compressed but not in a restricting way, it helps slow the movement of the air bubble in my suit. While other divers have the air bubble in their suits shoot around inside the suit, I can feel the air bubble gently roll/move from shoulder to shoulder or along my body as I change position in the water.

9. The inner core of the fusion suits, including the KVR1, have humongous oversize cut. I posted pictures of my aircore inflated while hanging from a beam in our veranda....the damned things is enormous. That is a great feature for if you are unsure of the size suit you want or want a suit that will be adaptive to changes in your body morphology, but there are obvious drawbacks to the design that one needs to contend with, one being that the extra space in the bag means it may take more air to be comfortable or it may be easy to put too much air in and control its position.

10. I have never dived a KVR so I don't know if it is stretchy or not....perhaps swap out the skin for an Aqualung bullet or tech skin...I know they can be purchased through DRIS.

11. There have been discussions on scubaboard in the past where it was referenced that crushed or compressed neoprene suits are easier to manage squeeze. I would recommend contact Bruce Justinen of SeaSoft....he has contributed on Scuba Board in the past but for some reason his name is not linking. From my understanding, he makes good quality suits, perhaps he has sometihing in his arsenal that might work better for you than the KVR1.

12. I don't think you need to suck up discomfort or that it is manly to bear the discomfort of suit squeeze, but you must realize that if you are going to dive as if you are wearing a wetsuit with relative indifference to your body position then the air bubble will move to the highest point and the rest of your body will feel a squeeze....if you go vertical with your head up, there is a good chance the air will dump out your shoulder dump which will cause you to need to add air to the suit....the fix for this is to stay horizontal as much as possible...my avatar is a picture of me from below while wearing my fusion bullet. That is the relative position I maintain throughout the dive....I try to ascend and descend while in a horizontal position and try to only become vertical when I am back at the surface.

I hope this helps. Good luck,

-Z

I don’t think your chest should feel squeezed.

Could it be that the suit is too large for you ?

So I try to keep the air in the suit to a bare minimum.
Check your minimum

snimok-ehkrana-2020-07-09-v-9-58-31-png.596992.png

http://pdf.divedui.com/DUI_Manuals-Current/DUI-Drysuit_Manual-English.pdf (p.48)

im hardly the most experienced dry suit diver.....but i personally keep a bit of "squeeze" in my suit.

ill add air when im getting cold, movement is restricted, or it starts to get painful....but the suit to some degree is always "snug"....not tight.....i suppose the best way to describe it is im wearing a sweater thats 1 size too small.

i notice it mostly in my arms and legs....the only time i feel tightness around my stomach or chest is when i get out of the water, and then i just crack a seal to equalize the pressure.

regarding feet.....if i go "feet up"....ill usually feel the air shift to my toes, and my feet get a little light.....but i can usually just swim downwards a bit and adjust my position to get the air bubble back to my mid section...

After two and a half seasons with my drysuit (been diving wet for 16 years) I can’t seem to get comfortable with drysuit squeeze. I don’t know if it’s just me not liking the feeling around my chest cavity or if I’m doing something wrong.

When I descend (typically doing dives in the 100’-130’ range) I try and put only the bare minimum amount of air in my suit to reduce squeeze. Once hitting my bottom depth I will even out with my wing. This will leave me not enjoying the feeing on my lungs from the suit squeeze. I’m an asthmatic and this instantly makes my mind think of the onset of an attack. Side note, I haven’t had an asthma attack in 7-8 years and I haven’t used an inhaler either. So by this I know it’s not a lung issue. Plus when I dive wet or without any protection I don’t have these issues.

So if I try to be comfortable on the descent and add enough air to remove the squeeze I can feel the bubble move through out the suit when I do my dive. I’m diving the north East wrecks and tend to be poking my head and body in holes to look for critters and what not. I do find my self feet above head while searching around since most wrecks here are wire dragged or really old and flattened out. This obviously makes my feet super buoyant. Thus making me need to reset position and even out the gas in the suit. Is this normal, is this much air normal, do people just deal with suit squeeze while diving and not add much air.

I’ve tried diving with minimal air in the suit and enough air in the suit and they each pose their own problems. What do people do??? Is wreck drysuit diving different from cave drysuit diving. Does each have there own trick? If I’m going to start doing longer dives during deco training, I need to figure the squeeze out. Ugh!!

something I am not seeing in your post. do you continue to add air to the DS as you go deeper? that is what you are supposed to do. always adding just enough to get the squeeze off. your vent is set to open to vent easily when ascending to prevent DS becoming a ballon. I have never experienced the situation you describe. Being feet light could be the suit sizing. if sized for one undergarment and they gong to a smaller one it makes more room for air to go to the feet.

something I am not seeing in your post. do you continue to add air to the DS as you go deeper? that is what you are supposed to do. always adding just enough to get the squeeze off. your vent is set to open to vent easily when ascending to prevent DS becoming a balloon. I have never experienced the situation you describe. Being feet light could be the suit sizing. if sized for one undergarment and they gong to a smaller one it makes more room for air to go to the feet.

I add minimum amounts of air on the descend as the squeeze builds. If I level out and then go deeper i will add as the squeeze builds. I fully understand the idea behind air in the suit. The point of this post was to see if a little squeeze is a normal thing or do divers make it so its completely eliminated. While ascending I am also in level trim and use the arm vent to release gas as needed.

The only time I get float feet is when I'm purposely head down looking in holes or digging around (My trim while fining is level and I'm not head or feet heavy). Me bringing up light feet was just trying to see what other do when they are purposely head down.

The only time I get float feet is when I'm purposely head down looking in holes or digging around (My trim while fining is level and I'm not head or feet heavy). Me bringing up light feet was just trying to see what other do when they are purposely head down.
First, your suit can 'bite' you. It isn't all that hard to do. I had an episode (~90ft/27m) where I totally ignored adding gas to my drysuit. Yeah, I felt the crush. Just ignored it. Later that evening, my back looked like a reticulated giraffe. Andrea Zaferes really gave me a hard time for not taking a pic.

I just may do that again for grins and giggles...

The suit: (still my fav)

CNSE™ DRYSUIT Durability and simplicity – that’s DUI’s CNSE™. Made with hyper-compressed 1.5mm neoprene, the CNSE™ is often chosen by commercial divers and divers that enjoy “bottom crawling”.

DUI | Drysuits & Diving Equipment from Diving Unlimited International

If I didn’t like a tight drysuit Id pump another bit of air into it.

...I live in a world where less is more, So I try to keep the air in the suit to a bare minimum...

The bare minimum is just enough gas in your suit to relieve the squeeze at any depth you're at.

If you go deeper and start feeling a squeeze, you need to add a little gas. If you go shallower, you need to vent a little gas. If you have a large bubble floating around, your suit is likely a little too loose.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom