Drysuit undergarments - PNW Waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DBPacific

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,

I picked up a used Bare Trilam drysuit from another SBer but alas do not have undergarments for it. Now and in the foreseeable future I'll be diving in the Pacific Northwest and I'm not sure of which undergarments are best. I would like to dive year round as well (so 40+ degrees depending on depth). I've heard Smart Wool 250g works as a good base layer. Is it necessary to always have a base layer and 'proper' undergarments on top? The drysuit isn't snug anywhere but I am worried that the bulk of too many layers might make it too tight for dressing and getting in the water. The drysuit has dry gloves fitted onto it as well, and attached neoprene socks (not sure of the wordage on that). Divers in similar conditions, what do you use? Any tips on drysuit care or getting dressed/undressed easily? Biggest issue right now is I'll need undergarments before I can take the drysuit course. I'm not brave enough to go out to a lake solo and to try and figure it out on my own.

Thanks

Edit: forgot to mention cold tolerance and wanted to fix before the inevitable 'it all depends on the person.' I don't get cold easily compared to the buddies I've had and can do hour long+ dives in 47 degree F water without feeling chilly. 45-46 degree F water is where I start shivering after about a half hour. Temperatures reliant on dive computer error. All my cold water diving has been done so far in a 7mm wetsuit, 5mm boots, 7mm hooded vest. Half the time in the vest at ~50F I vent a bit to stop from overheating and get a comfortable chill. I am a well-padded penguin. Don't know if that changes advice, but that's the best I can describe cold tolerance.

well I'd be pullin out the drawers for some track suits and tshits and stuff

To answer your question, a base layer is not technically required but is highly recommend. Stay away from cotton.

When wearing a drysuit you are likely to sweat especially on the surface before getting in the water, also there is moisture in the air which gets in your suit when donning even though you expel most of it donning there is still some the temp difference once you get into the water will cause condensation.

The sweat and condensation next to your skin will make you cold. A good base layer wicks the moisture away from you and also helps keep the undergarments cleaner (undergarments tend to lose warmth as they are washed) wool is good because it has natural wicking and is the only fabric I know of that keeps its warmth characteristic while wet (in case of a leak). Cotton just absorbs the moisture and loses all characteristic warmth characteristics and will you feel cold when wet.

Some people like the underarmor cold gear for a wicking base layer also.

Hope that helps.

Forgot to add. Drysuit specific undergarments are also not required but recommended because they are designed not to produce lint which can plug your valves.

The wool base is essential in my book, amazing stuff. I’ve been using waterproof 3D meshtech for the past serval months and am very happy with it.

Is it necessary to always have a base layer and 'proper' undergarments on top? The drysuit isn't snug anywhere but I am worried that the bulk of too many layers might make it too tight for dressing and getting in the water. . . . Divers in similar conditions, what do you use?
I dive a trilam suit with the 'undergarment' selection based on water temperature and, to at least some extent, ambient air temperature.

For the base layer, I use Patagonia Capilene garments. I have the three thicknesses of them that Patagonia offers and adjust to the temperature environment by selecting the lightweight, midweight or thermal / expedition weight.

My preference is to wear a lightweight Capilene layer under my drysuit undergarment. For most water, and air, temperature ranges that combination works best. At times - e.g. when the ambient air temperature is quite warm, and the water temperatures are in the high 50s / low 60s - I have simply worn the expedition weight Patagonia garments under the drysuit. I have even doubled up the Patagonia garments - e.g. a lightweight layer, with a heavyweight layer over it - when I think it would work (such as when I have arrived at a dive site without the drysuit undergarment. :))

You best approach, long term, is probably going to be to buy an undergarment - quite possibly a Bare undergarment which should fit well under your suit. but, in the immediate term, something like the Patagonia base layer garments should work. There are probably other brands of garments offering the same protection, I just happen to be a long time Patagonia user (and use the same garments for both drysuit diving and winter climbing).

I don't know that there is a 'best' way to don / doff the suit quickly. Trilams are pretty straightforward. I do try to stay comfortable, in terms of temperature, until I am ready to put the suit on. As several have suggested, any sweat on your skin before you don the suit and enter the water will haunt you during the dive. So, if anything, I try to stay a little cool before putting the suit on if possible. I might have the lightweight base layer on while I am assembling my gear, or moving my rig into position. Then, when we are ready to dive, I slip into the drysuit (OK, donning a drysuit is never a simple matter of 'slipping into it'), put my rig on and get in the water. Similarly, after a dive, I get out of the suit as quickly as I can. If the ambient air is cold, I pout on a heavy 'boat coat' or something like that. But, I want to get the suit off, and hanging up sooner rather than later.

Will you be diving in Oregon or going up to wa? I dive mostly Oregon of your ever looking for a partner. Anywho to answer your question, it depends I get cold easier so I use thermals for sure in winter, summer time maybe just a hoodie and sweats, also depends on how long your dive is, water temp etc

Will you be diving in Oregon or going up to wa? I dive mostly Oregon of your ever looking for a partner. Anywho to answer your question, it depends I get cold easier so I use thermals for sure in winter, summer time maybe just a hoodie and sweats, also depends on how long your dive is, water temp etc

I don't have good transportation options so Oregon is my only option for diving. I would love a buddy if you're ever around Eugene. What thermals do you use?

The wool base is essential in my book, amazing stuff. I’ve been using waterproof 3D meshtech for the past serval months and am very happy with it.
Hey Lexvil,

Picked up one of their vests and am waiting to try it out but the meshtech base layer intrigues me quite a bit.

Couple of quick questions,
  • is this the newer 30d meshtech? I've seen Waterproof reference a heavier meshtech but can't seem to find any.
  • How are you layering with this, is it your base layer or do you wear it over your base layer?
  • How have you found it changes (or replaces) your mid and top layer requirements?
  • Is it meant to be skin-tight or can/should it be a looser fit?
  • do you find the sizing to be true to label, or slightly smaller or larger?

Hey Lexvil,

Picked up one of their vests and am waiting to try it out but the meshtech base layer intrigues me quite a bit.

Couple of quick questions,
  • is this the newer 30d meshtech? I've seen Waterproof reference a heavier meshtech but can't seem to find any.
  • How are you layering with this, is it your base layer or do you wear it over your base layer?
  • How have you found it changes (or replaces) your mid and top layer requirements?
  • Is it meant to be skin-tight or can/should it be a looser fit?
  • do you find the sizing to be true to label, or slightly smaller or larger?
This is whatever was out there a few years ago, I’m not aware of any newer/heavier stuff.

I tend to use a heavy wool base layer and this as the insulating layer on top, if I’m feeling the cold I may add a waffle type fleece layer between the wool and the mesh tech.

I don’t think it matters how tight of loose it is, if to big and it got creases I don’t think you would feel it, but a closer fit is my preference.

sizing seems to be pretty spot on.

I use these and sometimes use my Hollis AG450 stuff, I think I prefer the Hollis in colder water.

Back
Top Bottom