Drysuit Valve Replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ABQdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently got a good deal on a used DUI drysuit. Nice suit, but has a non-swivel inflator valve and a leaky exhaust valve, both older Apeks.

Where can I get new SiTech valves for the suit, anyone have a favorite source??

kevin, if i may ask, how were you able to determine you had a leaky exhaust valve?

thanks

H2Andy:
kevin, if i may ask, how were you able to determine you had a leaky exhaust valve?

thanks
Good question. That's my assumption based on the fact that my upper arm (plus everything below it) was wet after the dive. I will take it apart to see if anything is wrong, but the wouldn't hurt to have one in the ready anyway.

Plus the inlet valve is the fixed type and is pointing down and to the right side, which bad for my setup. I like the supply inflator to come under my left arm. I've GOT to replace that....

Well let me guess you bought this no from a LDS and you are new to drysuits. By your questions it seems this is the case.

If you left the exhaust valve all the way open during you dive, then it will most likely leak.

If you pressed the exhaust valve during your dive and not air left the valve (couldnt vent the suit), it will leak.

To reposition the inlet valve just unscrew it and reposition it then retighten it. This is what gave it away because its such a simple thing to do.

I bet all valves are fine.

PS
I had ALL of the same problems at first. I would like a swivel valve also but I was able to reposition it and its been fine ever since.

Best of luck with a nice suit you have there.

ScubaSarus:
Well let me guess you bought this no from a LDS and you are
new to drysuits. By your questions it seems this is the case.

i did buy from an LDS, but used. and yes, this is my first dry suit

i heard that if you leave the valve open al the way, it will leak, particularly older
DUI models (which i have)

so i uncranked it about 4 clicks... and it seems to be leaking. well, something is.
i end up soaked.

but when i test it on my bathtub, nothing... i can see no air escaping

Depending on when your suit was made, DUI will replace the exhaust valve for free if you bug them about it.
Otherwise check with your local Viking dealer, they may have parts in stock for folks wanting to upgrade.
Ditto on just repositioning the inflator valve, it's a cheap fix.

ScubaSarus:
Well let me guess you bought this no from a LDS and you are new to drysuits. By your questions it seems this is the case.

If you left the exhaust valve all the way open during you dive, then it will most likely leak.

If you pressed the exhaust valve during your dive and not air left the valve (couldnt vent the suit), it will leak.

To reposition the inlet valve just unscrew it and reposition it then retighten it. This is what gave it away because its such a simple thing to do.

I bet all valves are fine.

PS
I had ALL of the same problems at first. I would like a swivel valve also but I was able to reposition it and its been fine ever since.

Best of luck with a nice suit you have there.
There you go, making assumptions! This is NOT my first drysuit, just never replaced the valves before.

I plan on trying to reposition the valve. My thought was; when it's out, might as well replace it with a new more versatile valve (hence the swivel). Plus, I'd rather have new gaskets to work with than old.

Thanks for the luck, now where do I get a SiTech valve??

Bob3:
Otherwise check with your local Viking dealer, they may have parts in stock for folks wanting to upgrade.

Your friendly Viking/Poseidon Drysuit dealer.
Just to clarify for those who missed it :wink:

H2Andy:
i did buy from an LDS, but used. and yes, this is my first dry suit

i heard that if you leave the valve open al the way, it will leak, particularly older
DUI models (which i have)

so i uncranked it about 4 clicks... and it seems to be leaking. well, something is.
i end up soaked.

but when i test it on my bathtub, nothing... i can see no air escaping
Ahh... the fun of used dry suits. I think I spent more time fixing my last one then I did diving it.
If you've even owned a camper or trailer with a leak in the roof, you know that where the leak shows up on the inside has little to do with where it originates from. Water seems to seek it's own final resting place based on laws I can't figure out.
IMHO, the best way way to find a leak is the bubble check - without being afraid to really inflate the sucker to almost exploding.

Rick Inman:
Ahh... the fun of used dry suits. I think I spent more time fixing my last one then I did diving it.
If you've even owned a camper or trailer with a leak in the roof, you know that where the leak shows up on the inside has little to do with where it originates from. Water seems to seek it's own final resting place based on laws I can't figure out.
IMHO, the best way way to find a leak is the bubble check - without being afraid to really inflate the sucker to almost exploding.
Your right about that! I'm actually a builder by profession, so I REALLY know about that!! So did you finally get all things sorted out?
Your right about the testing too, obvious next step prior to any repairs.

I've got the SiTech on my Bare drysuit and they have been great. The standard Apeks have been reported to be good, although the low profile Apeks seem to have troubles.

The local Viking dealer is not available. Bob, interested in being my "local" Viking dealer? Your friendliness is unquestionable :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom