DS-TTL and the DX-1G

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Marc,
I have not tried 1/500 but I see no reason why it will not work. Give it a try out of water first, you should be able to tell after the first shot.
If it works, which I suspect it will, then your shots will have dark distant background. Not a problem with most macro shots. If are doing shots with distant background and want some natural light effect in the distant background, you may need to reduce the speed.

The the speed set on the camera has no effect on the strobe. Strobe operating range is governed by the guide number, which for two YS110's I calculate is about 30 out of water (approx 10 to 15 underwater). For ISO 100 and TTL mode set on the strobes, the calculated range will be approximately as follows:

Wide angle
Aperture Distance (max)
f2.5 4.0-6.0m
f9.1 1.1-1.6m

Full Zoom
f4.4 2.2-3.4m
f15.8 0.6-0.9m

Staying within these ranges of f stop and distance should be handled by the TTL system.

By the way, I now have two YS110alpha's. I met someone that had a single YS110 and wanted a second so I sold him mine and bougth the second YS110alpha.

Cheers
Treb

The adapter image is attached. This has been included with each housing for over 1 year now.
0226.jpg

HI,
Yes, it does fit in the 2 upper sockets on the front of the housing, however, it repositions the cables so that they are more directly in front of the camera's internal flash and thus can get the most light transmitted to the strobe sensor. At times, when a very small amount of camera flash is emitted it may not be enough light to transfer to the strobe sensor, thus causing the strobe not to flash. This is due to the TTL on the DX-1G/2G and hence the addition of 0226 to the housings.
There is no use for the DX-8000G.

HI,

There is no use for the DX-8000G.

So the only way to use a FO with the 8000G is to just attach the end of the cable to the outside of the housing in front of the flash? If so, what are the 2 sockets on the top of the 8000G housing above the flash for?

The 8000G has 2 foc ports for dual strobes. Put the diffuser in the up position and plug in your FOC and your ready to shoot. The 0226 adapter mounts vertically not horizontally and would serve no purpose on a DX-5/8000G housing. Enjoy.

The 8000G has 2 foc ports for dual strobes. Put the diffuser in the up position and plug in your FOC and your ready to shoot. The 0226 adapter mounts vertically not horizontally and would serve no purpose on a DX-5/8000G housing. Enjoy.

Thanks... I am getting an Inon strobe but have been told that they now make a FO cable with the L type plug for S&S compact housings. Is that the correct type of plug for my housing or do I need a different one.

Appreciate all your help!!
Am hoping to get the 2G next year after I save more money.:D

I recently buried my old SeaLife DC500 :depressed:, and have been in the market for a replacement (this time used I think) camera, and am currently looking at a couple of used DX1g's with the TTL strobe. These threads are very helpful in learning before making such a purchase. Thanks.

Any idea what such camera should be selling for, now that they have been discontinued, and whether or not Sea and Sea will continue to support them?

Hi Jim, I have seen them on ebay new for around $450. While they are discontinued, Sea&Sea will continue to support them for the next few years. I currently own the DX-1G and really like it. It produces very nice pictures. If you click on my Photos link in the left panel, you can see pics that I've taken with it. If you have the extra money, I would buy the DX-2G; however, that will put you back another $400. The plus is that if get the 1G and want to upgrade to the 2G, all the accessories will work on the 2G (wide angle lens, close-up lens, etc).

If you have any questions, email me at jamescrew6@verizon.net.

Regards,

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom