DSLR Snorkeling Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I need to find my old white slate to use for WB. Have not used it since shooting the Sony with TTL Strobes (I guess I have gotten a little lazy).:wink:

While it's a bit counterintuitive, white is actually not a good way to set white balance. The reason is, in bright light, white can max out one or more of the camera's color channels ("clip the highlights"), which will result in an inaccurate color estimation. If you're going to carry a dedicated card for manual white balance, grey is a much better choice - but usually, picking white balance off a patch of sand or rock, or a diver's tank, or whatever else is grey in the picture works just fine. If you don't have anything suitably grey in the picture, you can pick white balance in another photo taken in similar circumstances and apply it to the one you need. For example, I was shooting thresher sharks at Malapascua - artificial light not allowed, 30 meters depth, very early morning, just water and the shark in the frame - so I took a shot of the diver next to me and used her tank as the white balance reference for my shark photos.

II guess I need to find my old white slate to use for WB. Have not used it since shooting the Sony with TTL Strobes (I guess I have gotten a little lazy).:wink:

Sand works well enough. ;-)

If you can find somewhere (Drive, WeTransfer, OneDrive, iCloud, etc.) to post a couple RAW files (as @Barmaglot suggested) then I'd be happy to take a crack at them in LR and offer any processing suggestions.

Even a moderate resolution jpeg should be fine for a quick check. There are a number of ways of tweaking the images that are quite effective.

This thread is a bit old, but did you manage to figure this out? I frequently shoot under the pier with just ambient light and no filters. I do shoot in raw format and I'm able to correct the white balance in Lightroom to get rid of the blue and have reasonable color photos.

Mike

My pictures under the Pier are OK. A little more work with Lightroom and they will be OK.
Still having trouble with pictures in bright sun around the Dolphins. Keep missing those great turtle shots. :(

If shooting RAW, there is no reason to use WB underwater. Just use the eye-dropper WB in Lightroom.
If you use filters, they are only good for one kind (color) of water at one depth.....anything else still needs to be WB'ed afterwards anyway. And, you lose light getting on the sensor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom