DSMB & spool purchase - my considerations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay

Need to dive more!
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I found the variety and types of DSMB available somewhat initially ‘confusing’ (as to what was best for me), and suspect others might be in a similar boat.

So here's my 2c from a newbie in this regard during my recent purchase.

First, all of my dives are in tropical calm water (or at least they all start like that). Currents can be a factor.

My priorities were: safety (visibility - esp if conditions worsened), ease of use, and then bulk.

I also wanted one which:
- had a rivet on top to attach a small strobe
- preferred a device had 3 inflation methods (LPI, alt air, blowing) such as DANS’ DAN: Online Store | scuba diving safety equipment
- a device that didn’t require sliding/holding anything with your mouth/teeth to orally inflate
- no crack bottle as I often fly and don't want any potential airport hassle.
- no risk of accidental deflation & purge valve a must.

It seemed like the sweet spot for me in terms of length was ~1.5m/5ft.

From other posts the Halcyon Diver Alert Markers - Halcyon Dive Systems - Asia gets a lot of brownie points but in the end I was sold on AP’s clever vertically placed LPI inflator mechanism which has a no-lock stem on it (IMO easier/safer for a newbie than a no-lock horizontal one given the opposing forces at play). AP Self-sealing SMB with Easifil Adaptor | AP Diving I purchased it directly from them (pic below).

I also preferred a spool so I can let go incase things go pear shaped. And to get one that was easy to use with thin gloves.

I wanted a 15m spool, to give an approx 10m deployment level. It seems like a sensible level IMO, 1/2 fill it, and it’s full at the surface and you’re not battling with shallower buoyancy issues (for rookie deployment).

I went with this spool: Apeks Spools (pic below)

The other one I liked was: https://www.divegearexpress.com/dgx-custom-aluminum-finger-spool?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwrqAnMWs2QIVFr69Ch2VIQnrEAQYBSABEgLLmfD_BwE

[FONT=Open Sans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 9.22.43 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 9.32.51 pm.png

[/FONT]

I own the Halcyon and love it. Expensive but awesome. Can you orally inflate the AP Diving SMB???

Not really. The inlet is metal like the one on a drysuit. You can use exhaust gas, octo or some other source of bubbles to inflate it from the bottom though.

Is a spool with 15m of line smaller than one with 30? Inflating that shallow will be a pain.

I rarely think getting Halcyon is worth the extra money, but their SMB’s are the best imo. DSS has great spools.

I recently bought this one: New! 6ft Orange SMB

It will be a little bit before I can try it, though.

I own the Halcyon and love it. Expensive but awesome. Can you orally inflate the AP Diving SMB???

I don't believe it can be, kind of a compromise I went for.

Is a spool with 15m of line smaller than one with 30? Inflating that shallow will be a pain.

Yes it appears to be much smaller - pic below. Was also a compromise ...

Hopefully these compromises work out well - I'll soon find out :)

Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 11.11.30 am.png

Last edited:
I have been using the same AP Valve simple self-sealing SMB for many yrs(15+). Very tough.
Delrin is a much better choice than plastic for toughness but cost a lot more. As for anodised aluminium? No experience.

I also preferred a spool so I can let go incase things go pear shaped. And to get one that was easy to use with thin gloves.

Do you mean as opposed to a reel? You can let go of a reel too...

I wanted a 15m spool, to give an approx 10m deployment level. It seems like a sensible level IMO, 1/2 fill it, and it’s full at the surface and you’re not battling with shallower buoyancy issues (for rookie deployment).

That seems short, but maybe I'm missing something. I'm trying to figure out your deployment scenario. Is this for drift diving? Or in case you can't find the anchor line? Will you not need to deploy from depth?

Lots of posts on dSMB thoughts and suggestions. There was an article comparing different safety devices. General thought was that when the dedication strikes the rotary oscillator, bigger is better.

I got the one from DAN. I plan to get a smaller one for my next trip to Cozumel and carry both. Small one for surfacing and large in case it goes pear shaped.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom