Dual strobe set-up of different manufacturer, GN, and operating mode.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wisnu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My current set up is Oly SP-350 paired with Epoque ES-230DS strobe and Canon G9 paired with Inon D2000. The later is mostly used by my daughter. Typically we set in full manual mode either the strobe and camera. For topside I use Oly E-620 with external flash Metz 58AF-1 (GN58 in air). I would like to upgrade my UWP set-up step-by-step starting from the strobe first, ie. By getting 10bar flash housing for my Metz 58AF-1 which I can use for the Oly SP-350. Next step will upgrade with E-620 housing or EPL-1 package.
But for this time being let talk about the setting of these strobes first. After few problem and poor response from 10bar – thanks to Scubabasic, finally I get my housing work although I can only switch on/off the strobe due to the other two button does not work. Not a big deal , Metz 58AF-1 communicate well with SP-350 – its TTL is very accurate or I can control it through the camera.
I plan to use the Epoque ES-230DS as the second strobe. I need some advise for these dual strobes, of different manufacturer, different GN (Epoque is GN21), different operating modes (TTL cord sync. for Metz and slave manual/auto for époque); different temp. color.
I will only jump to the water next week – just trying to use it topside. The camera is set on manual mode with flash in auto. Seem the époque is not properly synchronized in manual mode. Although the Metz can trigger Epoque, but I don’t see any difference on exposure with or without the second strobe. The slave automode seem work better but a bit overexposure from that side.
I haven't try the combination with D2000 - my daughter will not happy if I take this strobe and let her use Epoque for her G9.
Need some advise how can I optimize this set-up. I have no experience using dual strobe. Yes, need practice and practice – but any advise will be useful for me to reduce the trial and error process.

Back
Top Bottom