Duck dive descent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Messed up my knee and have been dry 3 weeks now. Reviewing photos of the summer I noticed I'm sometimes fins up when descending at the start of a dive. (solo diving, not training.)

Pretty much classic free diving descent style. Fold at the waist, fins high and legs extended. Head first descent.

Advantages off hand:
Gets me down rapidly, facing where I'm going with hands protecting head and avoids issues of burping trapped air.

Anyone else using this skin diving technique on scuba gear? Not suggesting it's superior, just realized it has been forever since I've seen another diver prefer it.

(Yes, I also do the "proper" descents... particularly if there's a student or buddy to keep an eye on.)

Am I alone?
Cameron

yep! With minimal weight on me, trapped air in my wet suit makes it sometimes tough to get off the surface. At the end of the dive (500 psi), I am basically neutral, and just easily ascend, and hold a stop if necessary.

YMMV

You mean kick your legs up in the air when on the surface to drive you down? I do it sometimes, but I did it more when I was diving a 7mm farmer john and jacket.

Superman to the bottom, skydive or fall out the window backwards all depends on the mood, conditions and who you're with....

Safely of course, by all means otherwise you can't do it again....

I like a gentle fall, leaf style: I found it so relaxing.
...but I see your point.

Not a fan. I probably won't complain unless I think the potential for separation is high, but I find it annoying to chase a buddy to the bottom of the ocean.

I always thought the duck dive was the proper decent. My feet fins first dives are done because they are required in training, or what I'm doing in the water requires that position.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom