Duck dive descent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! Glad to hear there's a few more out there!

works best in conjunction with "hot drop" concepts....
...which works best in further conjunction with the tank turned on... don't ask me now I discovered that gem of wisdom. ; )

By "reviewing photos" do you mean photos taken of you doing during descent?

What you described is a normal descent. Holding your BC hose up and letting the air out and dropping down feet first is weird--it's like taking an elevator to the bottom. I usually do it the weird way on dive boats but not when I'm alone.

Yes, I was mapping some sites near a community and my friends send me some topside photos... mostly of just my fins/legs in the air.

Aside from that, which of Salinger's books is that quote from? I can't imagine that I'd read that and not remembered it.

"Cloud Atlas" iirc

The full quote is:

“The fact is always obvious much too late, but the most singular difference between happiness and joy is that happiness is a solid and joy is a liquid.”

In over 4,000 dives I have only ever gone down head first. I have also never seen anyone descend any other way.

4000 dives and you've never seen anyone descend feet first holding up their inflator hose? That's amazing!

This thread is making me feel much better about my way. I rarely see others start as I do.

I once did a stride off the back of the boat calling "waaaiittt for me and duck dived as soon as I hit the surface. At about 15', realized didn't have my reg in my mouth.

No worries, quick arm sweep fixed that and I caught up with the gang shortly thereafter. Twas fun

Don't despair, it's still available :p

Why are some of us shy ducks?

I've done the duck/jackknife with a rebreather, scooter and two al80s and an al40 along with me... but add a fellow diver and I'm horizontal leaf floating in the wind when descending...

(can't bring myself to do the vertical feet-first unless I'm teaching someone who needs it or when I'm finless heavily negative and bottom crawling.)

Cameron

Feat first? Nope! I'm either head first or horizontal.....

YMMV

With gear, a duck dive poses greater risk of hitting your head. I see that as the main drawback.

On SCUBA it isn't a big problem as one can control the rate of decent. I'd rather see the bottom before I decide to touch.

When abalone diving, free diving, in low viz I have been supprised more than once. By extending my arm out with ab bar in my hand, I usually find the bottom before my head hits.

Bob

I usually duck dive, as it lets me shed a couple of pounds of lead and still get down, and it let's me be neutral at my safety stop with no air in my BCD. And anyway, I'm too impatient to swim to the anchor line to pull myself down. Once I'm down about 15' I might flatten out, especially if I'm going deep and want more time to equalize. I almost never see anyone else duck diving, though. I also like to do negative entries as sometimes I get enough momentum to descend deep enough that my suit compresses, and then I don't have to duck down. The effort to duck dive does seem to use up a bit more air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom