DIR- Generic DUI Cortez for Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure, but how are aspects like durability, fit and ease of repair in any way more desirable to GUE divers than divers under other training agencies? Lots of divers place weight on those characteristics. As for dump valve placement, some manufacturers offer customization of those kinds of things on any of their suits--even Santi would let you select dump valve placement--so I don't see that as being relevant to which suit model might be favored or disfavored by GUE instructors as opposed to other cave/tech instructors of similar experience. No doubt there are a few suits out there with configurations that really don't work well for GUE diving, but I think they are rare. People show up to Fundies class (and beyond) with lots of different suits, and I suspect very few of those suits draw a negative comment from the instructor. A well-made suit is a well-made suit irrespective of training agency, is it not?
Perhaps the better approach would be "what characteristics are least desirable?"
1) baggie gas trapping fit
2) no pockets
3) back zip

Would be the top 3 negatives IMO. Runner up would be the ankle dumps in the Apollo suits - although they can be functionally disabled.

Sure, but how are aspects like durability, fit and ease of repair in any way more desirable to GUE divers than divers under other training agencies? Lots of divers place weight on those characteristics. As for dump valve placement, some manufacturers offer customization of those kinds of things on any of their suits--even Santi would let you select dump valve placement--so I don't see that as being relevant to which suit model might be favored or disfavored by GUE instructors as opposed to other cave/tech instructors of similar experience. No doubt there are a few suits out there with configurations that really don't work well for GUE diving, but I think they are rare. People show up to Fundies class (and beyond) with lots of different suits, and I suspect very few of those suits draw a negative comment from the instructor. A well-made suit is a well-made suit irrespective of training agency, is it not?

I do not want to stir up a hornets' nest here—however, like AJ stated—which happens to be the same thing I heard from my fundies instructor in 2015 when I showed with a SP semi-dry suit with back entry. Sure, It worked well at the time but this time—I'd like to do it right (see what I did there) by getting the best possible suit I can for my budget. I have heard great things about both Santi and DUI and also some negatives things as well. Nevertheless, I know both manufacturers tend to be the two "go-to's" going forward through their programs which are a part of my goals. On the other hand, I do know crushed neoprene, back entry, or a non-flexible suit like the Pinnacle Evo 2 may not serve you as well as the others in their opinion.

I do not want to stir up a hornets' nest here—however, like AJ stated—which happens to be the same thing I heard from my fundies instructor in 2015 when I showed with a SP semi-dry suit with back entry. Sure, It worked well at the time but this time—I'd like to do it right (see what I did there) by getting the best possible suit I can for my budget. I have heard great things about both Santi and DUI and also some negatives things as well. Nevertheless, I know both manufacturers tend to be the two "go-to's" going forward through their programs which are a part of my goals. On the other hand, I do know crushed neoprene, back entry, or a non-flexible suit like the Pinnacle Evo 2 may not serve you as well as the others in their opinion.

I hear you. For the record, I too am concerned that my gear be not just suitable for GUE diving--and apart from odd placements of valves or pockets, most trilam suits are--but gets looked on with reasonable approval as being good quality gear. Just recently, a GUE instructor whom I won't name gave me his personal opinion that DUI today is superior to Santi. I am going to need to replace my well-worn E.motion (pre-dating the E.Motion+) before long. So I read threads like this with interest. Carry on!

have heard great things about both Santi and DUI and also some negatives things as well. Nevertheless, I know both manufacturers tend to be the two "go-to's" going forward through their programs which are a part of my goals.

The problem is its very hard to figure out the ratio of problems to good suits. Both companies sometimes have quality control issues and customers vary in how much they dive and how hard they are on suits. The budget suits from both companies tend to be fine in the short to medium term (1-3 years). Somewhere around year 4 of a trilam suit's life is when the issues crop up (leaking seams, are you on your third plastic zipper?!?... etc) Lately DUI has had better turnaround on repairs IMHO, but my view is biased by my buddy's issues getting his Santi seams redone. But all the "stories" are like that, an anecdote here or there. There is a certain amount of dice rolling with any drysuit purchase - best to assume its going to leak and its just a matter of when.

Beats me. But its real easy to go to a dive site and see all kinds of wild stuff. Baggy suits, neoprene suits, back zips, that weird Black Ice thing that was popular a few years ago that was super hard to repair, wrist dumps. Plenty of agencies and instructors are a-ok with just about anything.

Truth be told, you won't get much grief in fundies for anything unless its just unsafe. But in this sub and in this conversation, I think we're searching for the ideal.

An instructor not mentioning drawbacks of x piece of gear does not mean x piece of gear is superior to y piece of gear.

Truth be told, you won't get much grief in fundies for anything unless its just unsafe. But in this sub and in this conversation, I think we're searching for the ideal.

yea asking which suit is good for fundies is pretty basic.
Going on to T1 or C1 starts to winnow the field.

yea asking which suit is good for fundies is pretty basic.
Going on to T1 or C1 starts to winnow the field.

That's a good point. My thought process would be Fundies (Pass), Rec 3, Tech Pass upgrade, Tech 1, Cave 1 (but this is something I will have to discuss with my instructor and base it off of what they think I could do) I'd love to get the tech pass off the bat but it has been a while since I have been in the water and only have this summer to practice both GUE drills and learning drysuit techniques.

That's a good point. My thought process would be Fundies (Pass), Rec 3, Tech Pass upgrade, Tech 1, Cave 1 (but this is something I will have to discuss with my instructor and base it off of what they think I could do) I'd love to get the tech pass off the bat but it has been a while since I have been in the water and only have this summer to practice both GUE drills and learning drysuit techniques.
I have not issue with this at all and figured you had plans past GUE-F

But skip Rec3, its a ridiculous course IMHO

Being that your location listed is Chicago. Have you tried talking to the people at DRIS? They have some Demo Fourth Element Argonauts listed. Perhaps you can see if they have any used suits there or customer returns that they might be willing to offload at a discount. If you're on a budget, there are lots of options out there as well. Although Santi, DUI, SF Tech, Otter, etc. make very nice high end suits, there are plenty of mid-tier drysuits that will be sufficient to get you through the training you have listed (TEC1, Cave1). I was on a budget just like you and saved up enough coin and got a Ursuit ONE Endurance. I had an issue with the metal BDM Typhoon zipper that needed to be replaced after a year, but other than that, no issues or leaks. I would recommend using a DUI spec YKK brass zipper or going with polymer zipper. Some people I know have had the polymer zippers with no issues. If you're not beach diving all the time and take care of your zipper, you should be fine.

Some pretty good deals on used drysuits do pop up on SB from time to time, if you know your size. DRIS should be able to handle boot replacements and seal replacements as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom