DUI days at CSSP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bladesmith

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Any swamp divers going this weekend? My son and I will be going on Saturday morning. We will be camping there overnight with a few other divers from College Station. Richard

I'm going to Abilene, but I received an email from the DOG Days crew yesterday. Apparently, they are a little shorthanded and in need of DMs and instructors with drysuit experience to help them out. Heck, they're so shorthanded it sounds like they'd be happy to have help cooking hamburgers and hot dogs. :D

I'm not sure what dive shop is sponsoring the event at CSSP this year, but if anyone is willing to lend 'em a hand the LDS is the best contact.

Any swamp divers going this weekend? My son and I will be going on Saturday morning. We will be camping there overnight with a few other divers from College Station. Richard

I know that Surface Interval Scuba in Arlington was selling tickets for the event.....at least this is what I was told earlier this week.....I was not even aware they still had the doors open over there, nice to hear they are still open.

I will be at a wedding this weekend in Oklahoma....hmm shame, surprised to hear they don't have enough help. That will probably effect next year's event here locally if they can not get the shops to participate.

Local Shops that are listed on DUI's website as selling their drysuits include:

Scubatoys
Tigershark Scuba
Lone Star Scuba
Grapevine Scuba
Lake Air Scuba
and not listed but apparently a dealer Surface Interval Scuba

EVEN if you get a minimum of 3 people from each shop, which is not a lot, that's 18 people to help. Can't be that hard...:shakehead:

The DUI people put so much expense and effort into the event, come on people!!!

I will be at a wedding this weekend in Oklahoma....hmm shame, surprised to hear they don't have enough help. That will probably effect next year's event here locally if they can not get the shops to participate.

Local Shops that are listed on DUI's website as selling their drysuits include:

Scubatoys
Tigershark Scuba
Lone Star Scuba
Grapevine Scuba
Lake Air Scuba
and not listed but apparently a dealer Surface Interval Scuba

EVEN if you get a minimum of 3 people from each shop, which is not a lot, that's 18 people to help. Can't be that hard...:shakehead:

The DUI people put so much expense and effort into the event, come on people!!!

...could be related to the current economic distress going on in the world today....spending $3 - $4 K on a quality drysuit is getting hard to justify when your 401K just went 'poof' !

Umm no, that's not it. I can say I never sold a drysuit as the result of participating in DUI Dog days. What i did do was keep people diving, and thinking about their sport in a month they probably would not have normally been thinking about. I did manage to get a few drysuit certifications through the shop though, and probably sold my fair share of hoods, gloves, and other related scuba gear as a result of participating. I also sold a few other brands of drysuits, cheaper that DUI's.
The staff at DUI will be the first to tell you that they fully understand that those DUI Dog Days do not always reflect immediate drysuit sales, and more cases than not a diver may buy another brand of drysuit at a lower cost. What they do know is that if they get a diver interested, and he buys a drysuit ( whatever brand), that if he continues to dive that he will eventually end up in a DUI. DUI also sees the big picture. If a shop is not participating because they think no one is going to buy a drysuit by going out there, then they are not seeing the big picture. Scuba is such a small industry that it amazes me that more shops and companies do not work together for a more united front.
On the staff side, if they are looking for an immediate payoff to DUI days then they too are not in scuba for the long haul. Being active with the students, customers, and so on is a huge draw to scuba, it is a social activity. In the long run I do not think scuba is all that expensive. If you can keep your people diving then everyone benefits.

I don't think it's a lack of participation from the shops. I think they just had a bunch of instructors or DMs bail on them after they signed up. Not sure what's up there...the weather maybe?

I don't think they will have a problem finding divers who want to try out drysuits at CSSP. The last DOG Rally I helped with at Lake Travis was very, very busy. After all, people are getting to try a new piece of equipment for very little cost. I doubt this event will be any different.

Weather should be great for this weekend at the event. A little windy perhaps, but great weather. My experience has been that if people had signed up to help they do not necessarily call in advance to cancel their participation, they just don't show up and think "aw what's one person not being there going to do?" Have 10 people all say that and boom, you have no help....
I think they will have plenty of divers, but with no help or little help, those divers will not be getting in the water very fast, if at all. It then taxes the few helpers they have and people sometimes have a hard time diving for 6 plus hours in cold water even with a dry suit. Dry does not always correlate with warm.
Anyway, I wish them luck and hope they find some help at the last minute. All I am saying is that I am surprised 6 shops in the metroplex do not have enough staff that can help this weekend at the lake? Sounds weird...especially with Scubatoys on the list, I would think they could staff the whole thing by themselves. I have seen their name on the Top 10 dealers in the country for DUI several times this year. Just askin'......

I did manage to get a few drysuit certifications through the shop though . . . . .

I also sold a few other brands of drysuits . . . . . .

What they do know is that if they get a diver interested, and he buys a drysuit ( whatever brand), that if he continues to dive that he will eventually end up in a DUI.

Debra, are you talking about me? :wink:

DUI will be my next dry suit. I would also enjoy the opportunity to test dive a DUI; but this weekend is not compatible with my schedule - so maybe next year.

Debra, are you talking about me? :wink:

DUI will be my next dry suit. I would also enjoy the opportunity to test dive a DUI; but this weekend is not compatible with my schedule - so maybe next year.

LOL, yeah you would be one I can think of. Ha Ha. They always end up in DUI! Troy is buying me a DUI when I get down to my fightin' weight. Right now I am still in my CD4 Bare, which I love, but he keeps touting the 450.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom