DUI dry suit - Cave Cut or Not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_moron

Contributor
Reaction score
What are the pros and cons?
One thing I don't like is the wavier I must sign with DUI.
If it doesn't fit right, I'll be stuck holding the bag.

I'm personally of the opinion that if you get measured properly for your suit, you don't need a cave cut. The pros would be that it's a closer fitting suit. The cons would be, well I guess that you have to sign a waiver and there's an additional cost involved. This may also limit your future undergarment choices.
I see you're in Los Angeles. I'd go see Andy @ Ocean Adventures. Call first to make sure he's there. He'll measure you right.

Happy Divivng

My first question to you would be why are you even considering cave cut. Why do you want a suit tailored to such tight tolerances. I dive in New England, where the water temp vaies from low 30sF to low 70sF. My insulation varies just as much. In the summer time with light weight undies, my suit fits sloppy. With my full winterweight dress for ice diving it is snug enough to be slightly restrictive.

So two more questions:

How confident are you that your physique will remain unchanged with no significant gain or loss of weight?

How much variation is there in the conditions in which you dive.

My first question to you would be why are you even considering cave cut. Why do you want a suit tailored to such tight tolerances. I dive in New England, where the water temp vaies from low 30sF to low 70sF. My insulation varies just as much. In the summer time with light weight undies, my suit fits sloppy. With my full winterweight dress for ice diving it is snug enough to be slightly restrictive.

So two more questions:

How confident are you that your physique will remain unchanged with no significant gain or loss of weight?

X2 except for the New England waters. When I have larded up for winter, my DUI is snug. When I am larded down in the summer, it is looser.

I'm personally of the opinion that if you get measured properly for your suit, you don't need a cave cut. The pros would be that it's a closer fitting suit. The cons would be, well I guess that you have to sign a waiver and there's an additional cost involved.
I see you're in Los Angeles. I'd go see Andy @ Ocean Adventures. Call first to make sure he's there. He'll measure you right.

Happy Divivng

I appreciate your advice!

Someone I dive with got his suit from Ocean Adventures. His cave cut came out perfect.

I just got measured at my shop, but I'm a bit skittish because I struggle to reach my single tank valve in a wetsuit. Not sure if a cave cut will present more problems.

Aggggh.....Decision.....decision.

Cave cut is not necessary. You're going to keeping a bit of squeeze on the suit for cave diving anyway, so you'll want thicker undergarments and plenty of room.

So two more questions:

My shop is recommending cave cut.
Temperature range from the high 40s to the mid 60s.
My weight fluctuates within 5lbs + or -. I've remain at the same body weight for the past 15 years.

My shop is recommending cave cut.
Temperature range from the high 40s to the mid 60s.
My weight fluctuates within 5lbs + or -. I've remain at the same body weight for the past 15 years.

Do you now, or in the future plan to cave/wreck penetration dive?

Does the salesperson who is recommending the drysuit cave or wreck penetration dive?

If the answer to the first is yes, , I still think you'll be fine with a regular cut suit. But I'm guessing it's the answer to the second that's yes. Folks recommend what they want or use themselves. If you need a tighter fitting suit, by all means have at it. Remember, it's what's important to your style of diving that is going to serve you best.

Don't forget, you can absolutely get a "better fitting" suit without going with a "cave cut". You can order a Signature Series. As long as both you and the person doing the measuring both have a clear understanding of what you're after, you should be fine. That's what I did and I'm thrilled with my suit.
Keep in mind, it's not only your personal weight that you need to be mindful of. You may (as I do) change undergarments depending upon water temperatures. A cave cut might make it tougher to do that.
Happy Diving...
K

OP is trying to decide for a TLS350 drysuit Signature Series whether to get cave cut or not. I've been very happy with mine, but I'm only one data point.

Good seeing you on the boat today, Noel. Good luck with the decision! I don't think that you're really gonna go wrong either way. It's a great drysuit.

I think OP is worried about liability regarding a miscut drysuit. I think that the dive shop measuring/selling and DUI both have a great reputation.

Back
Top Bottom