DUI Still Good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dalpe933

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi,

so I'm about to buy the DUI FLX Extreme drysuit, but I keep on reading that DUI has gone downhill in quality in the past year. I'm just curious if anyone bought a suit recently good/bad experience.. Or this is just the normal some people like to bash companies for the fun of it and DUI is still a Top drysuit company.

thanks for your input,

Happy Diving!

read up on this forum.... I wouldn't buy a suit from them now. Paying top dollar for a suit that isn't what it used to be, from a company that is really unstable.

I'd look at the Scubaforce suits if you want the FLX Extreme. I think they're making a better suit than even the golden years of DUI, and they're much cheaper.

My 2 yr old DUI TLS350 now has ~150, OW, Wreck and Cave dives without even one minor problem. Great suit. YMMV.

This will be an interesting thread...

I have a very old DUI (CF200x), and the thing is great. I sent it in a few years back to get a new zipper, an additional kevlar wear pad on the seat, and zip seals installed (its manufacture pre-dated them). Sending it in requires a leak test (fee), and includes minor repairs. Well, it came back leaking.... Their repair efforts were not great, and it took multiple tries to get it right. I can also say the build quality of the original rock boots I have are way better than the ones I recently purchased.

I have also heard of many stories of displeasure, often here....

With Kathy Long leaving, it is really not the same.

When the time comes to replace this suit, it will likely be elsewhere....

IMHO, it is a lot of money for their suit, and I don't think the value is there anymore.

YMMV

Just bought my first drysuit, did a lot of research and ended up going with Otter. Talked to a lot of NE wreck divers for input, a few of them told me they used to be DUI customers but they felt the suits had gone downhill in recent years.

I only have two dives on my suit so far, but so far I am happy. Arrived leak free and fits well. Seems tough as hell. Good luck in your search!

This will be an interesting thread...

I have a very old DUI (CF200x), and the thing is great. I sent it in a few years back to get a new zipper, an additional kevlar wear pad on the seat, and zip seals installed (its manufacture pre-dated them). Sending it in requires a leak test (fee), and includes minor repairs. Well, it came back leaking.... Their repair efforts were not great, and it took multiple tries to get it right. I can also say the build quality of the original rock boots I have are way better than the ones I recently purchased.

I have also heard of many stories of displeasure, often here....

With Kathy Long leaving, it is really not the same.

When the time comes to replace this suit, it will likely be elsewhere....

IMHO, it is a lot of money for their suit, and I don't think the value is there anymore.

YMMV

Bob...

I'm like you...I originally bought two DUI CF200's back in the day...with the idea of one being a backup suit...the backup suit remained unused until 2017...at which time I sent it back to DUI to have the seals changed to neoprene...and to have the inseam extended slightly...which included new legs from the knees down...and new soft feet...

This a fabulous suit...not new...but as new...better...and fully optioned...big Kevlar knee pads/zippered pockets/knife sheath/pee valve...

I've heard all the recent stories about DUI slipping...I've had no issues...and I have not witnessed any of the issues brought about in the recent volly of complaints...

I can say that the modifications to my suit performed by DUI in 2017...were expertly performed...I had the suit back in two weeks...at this same time...I had them include a new pair of DUI rock boots...I've yet to wear them...still using the original pair...

I've seen a few of the current CF200's...the design of the shoulder DUI patches has changed...the valves have changed...other than that the suit appears the same as mine...

I sold the main suit to a Lake Muskoka dock worker in 2016...as far as I know...he's still using it...

I'd buy DUI again without hesitation...but I don't think my remaining number dives will require a change...

I have not heard that DUI is currently ''unstable''...as has been mentioned...and in this industry...what is ''stable''...the companies are viable...until they're not...

W.W...

Best...

The biggest flaw with DUI is the cost, you can buy 4 Seaskin for the cost.

The biggest flaw with DUI is the cost, you can buy 4 Seaskin for the cost.

Yeah, reading these threads, I get the impression that Seaskin is the new SB darling.

Even though DUI appears to have many issues, at least they are US based and have dealers in the US. Seaskin has no US dealers that I know of. If you have issues that require return to the manufacturer, you have to send it back to the UK. Major drawback, IMO.

Even though DUI appears to have many issues, at least they are US based and have dealers in the US. Seaskin has no US dealers that I know of. If you have issues that require return to the manufacturer, you have to send it back to the UK. Major drawback, IMO.
I don’t know what sort of issues you would expect but for the $2500 ++ difference I can toss to suit over my arm and take it back in person plus a nice holiday in jolly old England and still have money left over. When I replaced the zipper in my first Seaskin I sent to DRIS.

Back
Top Bottom