DUI vs Aqualung Fusion Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Outbound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I’m currently diving in a Scubapro Everdry 4 compressed neoprene drysuit with neoprene seals. There are things I love about the suit and also things I hate. I bought it on massive sale and it seemed like a great deal at the time, but for a host of reasons I’m ready to start considering alternatives.

My local LDS is a DUI and an Aqualung retailer, so I’m considering a DUI Yukon II or a Coronado (for the price). The TLS350 or FLX Extreme might be options if the overwhelming consensus is that they are the bees knees, but the $3K price tag is extreme. I’m also considering an Aqualung Fusion Tech. When I did my drysuit certification class it was in a DUI that was at least two sizes too big for me. That kinda put me off trilam suits, because it felt like I had a huge garbage bag clinging to me. But that was probably because it was too big. Still, for that reason, I’m leaning towards the Fusion Tech. I also like that the Fusion has socks with boots that can either be left on or removed as necessary. The DUI Yukon II has attached boots, which I’m not a fan of. Our local fun dive is a pond with a sandy beach access, and I’d rather not roll up wet, sandy boots into my drysuit bag at the end of a dive. The Coronado has socks, so that’s a plus. The other DUIs can be ordered with socks, but again, they are expensive. Lately I've heard mixed things about DUI quality now that the business has gone through a change in management. Have those issues been resolved?

Oh, and for now all of my cold water diving will be local, so weight, air travel, and dry times really aren’t an issue.

I’m not ready to purchase just yet, and plan on finishing out the rest of this season in my Everdry 4, frequent leaks and all. So I’m just looking for some feedback on the above mentioned suits so I can keep an eye on prices and possible sales.

PS: I’m right at the top of the Aqualung Fusion SM/MD size, but I think the L/XL will be too big. Just how stretchy and comfy are they? Would I be able to fit thicker undergarments under it? I’d definitely try some one and get properly fitted before ordering, but just want an idea.

Big issue I have with the Fusion is the freaking zipper placement. Despise with a passion. That alone would make me forget about it. Plus, in my case, I need custom due to my height. Whatever Fusion fits me in the torso, arms and legs are waaaayyy too long.

You might consider USIA or Ursuit. I love my USIA Techniflex (I shrank so it’s huge). I’ve heard lots of good things about Ursuit through folks who got them from DRIS (my local shop).

Last edited:
Thanks for the very quick response! May I ask, what is the issue with the zipper placement on the Fusion? Is it because it requires great shoulder mobility to reach all the way back? One of the things I hate about my Everdry is that it is a bit tight in the shoulders, which makes double-folding the neoprene neck seal a royal PITA. As a result, I often rush the job and think I got it right only to find that the neck seal leaks once I descend.

It’s a freaking PITA. It doesn’t play well with the replaceable neck seal system. It resulted in my harness not sitting well on my shoulders.

I’ll admit I just hate the look of the damned thing. Ugly. Pain in the arse getting the thing done up.

Love my fusion I really like that I can get it on and off by myself too. Also like the fact I can change out wrist/neck seals in minutes and their silicon.

User replaceable seals aren’t just a Fusion feature. They can be put on pretty much any drysuit.

I have the fusion tech -- I'm not too fond of the zipper placement either. I really despise the pockets, way too difficult to open/close with drygloves. Since they are part of the external skin they really sag down a lot when not in the water. I don't plan to replace it with another fusion.

I have a fusion tech. The pockets are ok if you reinforce the flaps to make them stiffer, the bullet has usable pockets from the get go. The newer version has velcro on the inside between the skin and core to hold the skin better so it doesn't sag as much. I don't have a problem with the zipper, but I can see someone with less flexibility or an incorrectly sized suit having an issue when self donning. I use evo3 boots with mine and don't like attached boots either. If you are right in between sizes, I would go to the smaller size on the sport and the larger size on the bullet. tech can go either way, but probably larger size is easier. you can also mix/match the skin and core if you are short and stocky or tall and lean, eg have the skin one size larger than the core or vice versa. I am running a 2XL/3XL skin and L/XL core.

If you are going to spend 2k, get an ursuit. but if you can find a used fusion cheap, it can be a good value.

Thanks for all the feedback. The general consensus seems to be that the Fusion isn't all that it's hyped up to be. I'm checking out the USIA and Ursuit sites and reviews and people seem to really like them. The price points seem reasonable too.

Thank goodness I have lots of time to decide! I have family in Chicago, so I might make a trip to DRIS when I'm out that way.

Thanks for all the feedback. The general consensus seems to be that the Fusion isn't all that it's hyped up to be. I'm checking out the USIA and Ursuit sites and reviews and people seem to really like them. The price points seem reasonable too.

Thank goodness I have lots of time to decide! I have family in Chicago, so I might make a trip to DRIS when I'm out that way.
I'm pretty happy with my fusion, though I find the zipper rubs against my collar bones once compressed with a bp/w harness. I would prefer a traditional front zip.

Back
Top Bottom