DUI Weight & Trim Classic vs W&T2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefugee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I need to get a new weight system. I have a DUI CLX450 drysuit and use a Diverite BP&W. In order to get enough weight, I have cram the weights into my DiveRite weight pocket - which makes it very difficult to remove in an emergency. I have the option to upgrade to the larger pocket or purchase the DUI Weight & Trim system. What is the difference between the W&T Classic vs the W&T II? Does one offer an advantage over the other?

Thanks
Minh

I have the weight&trim II

The original lets you move the weights fore and aft letting you carry them down closer to your belly for a lower center of gravity. It is a web based design as you can see in the picture and I suppose some might find it a little bulkier and even confusing under a hog harness.

The II has the weight pocket base in a fixed location. The pockets are divided so if you have a less than full load you can load them biased fore oraft but the pocket remains in the same place. The II is a fabric harness that comes straight up the back and wishbones around your neck then down the front. The front buckle is of a Fastex style.

For diving dry it's the way to go. You can run your weights down low and for me that made it easy to get rid of ankle weights. The extra freedom lets you avoid the belt/BC overlap than many have to contend with.

When doffing your BC it is easy yo wipe the weight harness strap off of a shoulder so be careful. I solved that by adding a sternum strap to my DUI W&T II. For carrying significant weight is a great solution both in and out of the water.

Pete

spectrum:
I solved that by adding a sternum strap to my DUI W&T II.

Good review Pete and as usual very thorough and spot on. I also own the WT2 and while I can't compare it to the WT Classic as I've never seen or dove one, I can highly recommend the WT2.

I've also thought that a sternum strap would be nice. Mine also has a tendancy to slide back and off my shoulders a bit. Pete ... how did you go about adding one to your WT2? Any pictures you could share?

Thanks for the great info! Looks like I will be getting the WT2. Do you guys have any recommendation on vendors I can go though? I am going to contact my LDS tomorrow to see how much they are.

My LDS didn't carry the WT2 so I bought it from DiveUS.com in January. I think it was about $80. I agree regarding the advantages of the system for diving dry but I think it beats a belt anyday, wet or dry. I haven't had the problem with the straps falling off the shoulders though and don't need a chest strap added. The pouches easily carry my 33 lbs. as well. Nice thing too, you could use hard lead if you want as the pouches provide great protection for the hips/body with a heavy panel/shield on the inside.

I have a medium that I want to get rid of...as in good riddens. It has been used about 6 times, if even that. I switched to a weight belt, and will not go back. I had the same problem the "other" Pete mentioned, with the shoulder strap falling off. The strap would also get hung up on my HOG harness, when donning and doffing. It would also ride up when inverted. Plus we often hike to our sites, so I needed the weight on my hips not my shoulders.

Hey Minh, I think I saw you in SF today, on a street corner, holding your "Got Air" sign. So was that you, having a conversation with yourself?

Quick question on the W&T2. Does anyone have any trouble with the main buckle coming unclipped during a dive? I've had it happen several times. I'm not sure if it's me (either not clipping it up properly all the way), getting something pinched up in the clip or if the clip might be defective. The good thing is it still stays in place, it just flops around a bit when it's undone. Not usually an issue to rebuckle during the dive.

tstormwarning:
Quick question on the W&T2. Does anyone have any trouble with the main buckle coming unclipped during a dive? I've had it happen several times. I'm not sure if it's me (either not clipping it up properly all the way), getting something pinched up in the clip or if the clip might be defective. The good thing is it still stays in place, it just flops around a bit when it's undone. Not usually an issue to rebuckle during the dive.

I haven't had that happen to me Tammy. I'd bet that maybe you have a defective clip. I'd bet DUI would send you a replacement if you'd request one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom