DUI ZipSeals to Si-Tech QCS DIY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it works for zippers it should work for anything. How flexible does it end up over time?
That dude "Dry Suit Projects" on youtube uses the SC 4000, he swears by it.

Personally I would use either one I could get my hands on. I guess that depends on what canada allows?

Thank you for all the suggestions, great community !!!!

I was trying to follow Si-Tech's instructions so was focusing on finding a "polyurethane-based based 2-part heat setting glue", which some of the glues mentioned in other posts I've read yesterday are not...? I'll check on SC 4000 for sure.

I was just told over the phone to a dive shop in Florida, that DUI uses PB-300 ? ..not sure it is correct ?

I do dive in cold lake water some times (~6C), so ideally would want to use a more flexible glue ?

...I realize that the glue issue has probably been discussed lots here, and some folks have their preference, I am just trying to avoid messing up, or having to re-do later... Would be nice if Si-Tech could share what they use/recommend; they cannot mail to outside of Europe, but perhaps I could find an analog replacement here... I've sent them a note, but no reply yet...

...I should mention that my suit is a tri-laminate, not neoprene, so the bonding needs to be between the inside suit fabric and the PU (poly-urethane plastic) glove ring. Thus am trying to stay away from glues/cements that are made to glue rubber...?

Yeah I heard you say that

012aaa.JPG

all the way

029 (2)a.JPG

from East

@happy-diver Looks like a good job ! I looked up AZBOND but only available in Ozziland.

I've called several large diveshops on the coasts and Florida, as well as DUI, DRIS, and Si-Tech's North American distributor. No-one would commit to recommending a glue/cement. However I've learned a few things more. DRIS does the same as DUI, namely sews the PU ring to the suit, and seals the stitching and ring edge with Aquaseal; they do not use their Drysuit Glue for this work (which is polychloroprene based). DUI says sewing is needed. One very reputable shop did state that with the right 2-part heat activated PU glue there is no need to sew. So apparently there is such a glue here in North America, and it gets used for exactly this.

Keep in mind that glue made for neoprene will likely not work with the PU ring, and maybe even the inside fabric of the tri-lams suits; and the same could likely be said for glue meant for affixing latex seals. Also another consideration, is the glue must be flexible when cured, otherwise it will separate and crack. I may do what DUI and DRIS do.

I have recently completed some repairs, three zips, two pee valves, a orust neck ring and pu cuffs. I am in Australia and used the Azbond, same as @happy-diver. It is for rubber but according to specs seems to be very similar to the SC4000. It has worked fine on both neoprene, trilam and the seals. Gave everything a good rough up, passes pressure tests and have all survived several ocean dives, Ill be taking one of the suits cave diving this weekend so hope it keeps holding up.

I use a urethane glue - heat activated - for a fair few repairs. Send me a DM and I'll see if I can get you sorted with finding some.

*bump*

Im dong the same project and looking to use DRIS Drysuit Glue - what glue did you use and how is it holding up?

@803_SCUBA @Bald Wookie

I ended up using the same glue "Bald Wookie" maybe still has access to above . It is working fine.

I've done more "research" on glues, based on the stuff mentioned by sci-tek -- two part heat activated urethane glue. An unofficial "slip" by someone I talked to at DUI mentioned they use a shoe glue -- NOT the "Shoo Goo" stuff. I have found the following, which is what I would use, if I was to do this again.

Probably the best is KENDA SAR 306, but can't get it in small cans, and it is pricey

An "analog" to Kenda -- STRONN

Not sure what is the stuff I got earlier, as it came in an unlabeled metal can. It is one part heat activated urethane, maybe it is STRONN.

Hope this helps !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom