Dukoral???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks,

A thread or two back, someone mentioned starting Dukoral to get ready for a March trip. I remember Dukoral. I would rather not have to take it.
Last trip to Mexico (Puerto Morelos), we took what we considered reasonable precautions-- bottled or vouched-for water, no ice in drinks, no salads, no fruit we did not peel ourselves -- and lived runs-free. Is this good enough for Cozumel restaurants? Staying at El Cantil and eating their provided breakfast.

Well, I have stayed and eaten at ElCantil. I never had a problem. We have eaten at all kinds of places in Cozumel including salads, fruit, ice with abandon and never had a problem. We just made sure to drink only bottled water, but then beer and margaritas count as liquids don't they?

I have been to Cozumel 3 times, Playa Del Carmen twice, Cancun once and the Dominican Republic 5 times. I have never used Dukoral or anything else and I have never been sick (touch wood). I stay away from cream/mayonnaise based sauces or dressings, make sure I don't get water in my mouth when I shower and only eat fruit that has to be peeled. I have never had a problem from restaurant food anywhere I have traveled.

Bob (Toronto)

On a side note, the first couple of trips we took to Mexico, we took along Ciprio (I think that is what it was) but never had to use it. We got tired of packing it around and no longer took it with us after the expiration date. 4 trips to Cozumel, 3 trips to Roatan, 1 to Grand Cayman and 1 to the Bahamas and not problems at all.

FT:
Hi folks,

A thread or two back, someone mentioned starting Dukoral to get ready for a March trip. I remember Dukoral. I would rather not have to take it.
Last trip to Mexico (Puerto Morelos), we took what we considered reasonable precautions-- bottled or vouched-for water, no ice in drinks, no salads, no fruit we did not peel ourselves -- and lived runs-free. Is this good enough for Cozumel restaurants? Staying at El Cantil and eating their provided breakfast.
I go to Cozumel at least once a year and have for the past 25 years or so. I rarely have a problem and I take only reasonable precautions (drink only bottled water, avoid overindulgence in alcohol, etc.). Don't worry about ice in drinks or food in restaurants. I eat cantaloupe and watermelon out on the boats - peeled and cut by others. I don't know what Dukarol is.

What ggunn says, except I don't even bother avoiding overindulgence in alcohol. In fact, I believe that's what kept me from any sort of bacterial interferences with my previous vacations, though obviously not the viral kind. The only time I've been sick in Cozumel was the time I got what was pretty certainly a norovius when I was staying at the fancy Cozumel Palace. However, considering the incubation time, it was just as likely that I got the noro at the Houston airport as from the baby that the lady at the Palace had sat on the bar counter and let it play with the straws.

Still, I would like to use this post as an opportunity to broadcast to all mothers out there: whether or not your little baby has a norovirus, please do not sit it on the bar and let it play with straws that other customers will soon be putting in their mouths! Thank you.

I go to Cozumel at least once a year and have for the past 25 years or so. I rarely have a problem and I take only reasonable precautions (drink only bottled water, avoid overindulgence in alcohol, etc.). Don't worry about ice in drinks or food in restaurants. I eat cantaloupe and watermelon out on the boats - peeled and cut by others. I don't know what Dukarol is.

Ditto to all of the above.

FT:
Hi folks,

I really don't understand what you're asking, you took precautions that are far above and beyond what probably 99% of visitors to Mexico do and it sounds like you're asking if the extreme precautions that you took for Puerto Morelos would be enough for Cozumel, as if Cozumel restaurants somehow might require an even more extreme set of precautions? Is that what you're asking?

The vast majority of visitors to Mexico and other countries that have questionable tap water supplies only follow the 'drink only bottle water' precaution, it's a very small percentage more who follow the no-ice in drinks and only a truly miniscule percentage follow the no salads, no fruit we did not peel ourselves policy.

---------- Post added February 9th, 2014 at 12:59 PM ----------

Still, I would like to use this post as an opportunity to broadcast to all mothers out there: whether or not your little baby has a norovirus, please do not sit it on the bar and let it play with straws that other customers will soon be putting in their mouths! Thank you.

Your first problem is you're drinking alcoholic drinks that require a straw...

Dukoral is a vaccine against cholera and enterotoxigenic Esherichia coli. It won't help with any of the MANY other possible causes of travelers' diarrhea. It's also not available in the US.

There is no problem whatsoever with ice unless you for some crazy reason make your own with tap water. Nobody on the island serves or consumes such ice.

I've traveled to Cozumel numerous times and have not contracted any food- or water-borne illnesses. I did catch a nasty cold from a friend once.

Michael and I DID have the unfortunate luck of getting hit with something while visiting Cozumel several years ago. That sudden 3 AM wake up call, on the morning we were returning home first affected Michael and then 30 min later I was following suit. Exactly where we picked up the problem we will never know, however we believe it was from an "Americana" Salsa the was made for us at a local restaurant as I can not have anything with capsaicin. (Hot pepper) .Perhaps the vegetables were not washed as carefully as they usually did. The then very popular restaurant is now out of business. Ok. Enough of my story.

Now, After years of visiting Cozumel, and even having experienced a negative event, I would still not be so concerned that I would go to the extent of Dukorol. It is in the best interest of restaurants to take precautions and not have problems. Yes, "IT" happens, but so does it in the Finest of restaurants EVERYWHERE !!! On Cozumel, drink bottled water, Ice, and eat , eggs, veges, fruits in restaurants . If you shop and prepare your own meals, Do wash and prep your meats, fruits and veges prior to cooking. However, this is something that should be done regardless if you are in Mexico or not. Also. Do wash your hands often.

Back
Top Bottom