Dumb Fisherman in Pompano

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most folks are good down here, but then you get the durka durkas that buy a boat and think of themselves as boat captains . . .

Hey! I resemble that remark :wink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although these were not safety issues, on two different trips going through the Hillsboro inlet we were prevented from going through the preferred path by boats sitting still under the bridge with lines in the water.

I tried to call BSO on the radio. Nobody else was out yesterday.
My buddy was sitting at anchor in 80 feet in the open ocean with a legal dive flag flying high. A boat running on autopilot ran directly over their 22 ft boat, hitting it broadside and sinking it and the two divers barely escaped as they bailed off the boat with their scuba gear half on. They both sustained injuries. The USCG and FWC brought no charges against the operators..... and the "accident" was reported immediately....don't expect much help at all. The FWC is happy to issue tickets to divers who don't fly flags, but I challenge you to find situations where they took any punitive action in situations which they did not witness.. oh yeah, visibility was unlimited and the seas were calm...

I remember reading about reporting people from FWC, the key thing was his boat number I think. See if you can read it on the bow of his boat and then look into reporting him. I don't want to be the next guy ran over by some jackass and the best way for us to stop it is too report. You'd be amazed at what do people will pay attention too when it starts hitting there wallet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Dive flags seem to be an open invitation to come close for some boaters. Years ago one of our dive boat operators had another boat encroach upon a group of divers in the water. Apparently they dropped anchor right by some of the divers. The captain dove in the water, boarded the other boat and cold cocked its captain. Score one for the good guys.

What boat? who was the captain? I and I am certain others would like for you to expand on the event DR SAM

Howard this has become pretty typical. It is always unnerving to have that happen. I have actually surfaced from a dive when we were anchored on a wreck, and found a red faced fisherman challenging the captain of our dive boat for right-of-way on the wreck we were moored to with active divers in the water! The problem is that when you start mentioning that this is a problem in the area, you get an awful lot of people that are in denial, divers included. I dont know if it is that they just dont get out there enough, or if it is a matter that they do not want to believe its an issue. last year two divers were run over by careless boaters. In each case it was a sub 30' vessel that hit them. I really wish FWC/BSO would start passing out the literature that we as taxpayers paid to have created, and take an active role in educating boaters about dive flags, and how to properly behave when there are humans in the water. I have had one of the captains of a commercial lobster boat ("Randy?!! claims everyone down here knows him) BUMP BOWS with my boat and more or less physically threaten me , while I had divers in the water. I am going to start carrying a camera and taking pictures of these fools. Now you know why I installed the equivalent of a Nathan Air Chime (train horn) on my boat. Some people legitimately fail to see the dive flags, or get lost in lala land, and need to be woken up. Horn is good for that. Its even happened to me in the past. Does a great job to address idiots like the one that you pictured, as they typically do not own, or at least do not have their VHF radio turned on, or invariably its being drowned out by their "wicked bass" - A train horn tends to cut right through P-Diddy quite nicely and get the point across. The trick is to get your point across without escalating into a dangerous situation. Taking FL #'s and carrying a camera with a zoom lens, and reporting these idiots are ultimately the best weapons in this fight. I am curious if you do report them, if there is actually any follow up. On that note, as I have said before. If you are diving in South Florida ALWAYS listen for boat motors before surfacing. if you here a motor, no matter how distant it may seem, DO NOT SURFACE. The person I know that got his arm amputated by one of these idiots heard the boat coming (a small 17' skiff with outboard) but thought it was far away. It was actually right on him but the small size of the motor misled him. In his case he had a Kayak with a dive flag mounted on top of the Kayak, and was on the mooring balls. Pretty large object to hit on the water. Im glad Howard raised this topic, as it has gotten me thinking about ways that we as divers can better educate the boating population at large. Instead of having a single day of enforcement and education, maybe it could be an ongoing thing. Many people are totally ignorant and truly believe that a fishing vessel that is running trolling lines has the right of way. I believe its a misunderstanding of the law, and a result of partial education. There actually are MANY instances when a boat, commercial or recreational that is running a trolling pattern DOES have the right of way. When a diver down flag is raised is not one of them obviously. I have reached the point of frustration with so many of the "sign here and drive" boaters in South Florida, that I basically just do whatever it takes to avoid them. Want to violate my right of way? GO for it! Challenge me to be the boat up front? I'll slow down and let you. Wanna tailgate me incessantly? I'll pull to the side if I have to to let you pass. Run at my dive flags, and that is when I draw the line. the law is great and all but if nobody knows the rules, safety and common sense have to prevail over everything else. As far as law enforcement is concerned, resources are thin, and to the local officers credits I see them concentrating on solving problems instead of incessantly writing tickets wherever possible. they cannot do it alone. I think we as divers have to use some common sense as well. Do not assume that the surface is clear when you surface. Im listening the whole time before I surface for motor noise. My head is on a swivel and my ears are open the moment I hit the surface. I want to see where my boat is, and also what else may or may not be near me.

Last edited:
Howard this has become pretty typical. It is always unnerving to have that happen. I have actually surfaced from a dive when we were anchored on a wreck, and found a red faced fisherman challenging the captain of our dive boat for right-of-way on the wreck we were moored to with active divers in the water! The problem is that when you start mentioning that this is a problem in the area, you get an awful lot of people that are in denial, divers included. I dont know if it is that they just dont get out there enough, or if it is a matter that they do not want to believe its an issue. last year two divers were run over by careless boaters. In each case it was a sub 30' vessel that hit them. I really wish FWC/BSO would start passing out the literature that we as taxpayers paid to have created, and take an active role in educating boaters about dive flags, and how to properly behave when there are humans in the water. I have had one of the captains of a commercial lobster boat ("Randy?!! claims everyone down here knows him) BUMP BOWS with my boat and more or less physically threaten me , while I had divers in the water. I am going to start carrying a camera and taking pictures of these fools. Now you know why I installed the equivalent of a Nathan Air Chime (train horn) on my boat. Some people legitimately fail to see the dive flags, or get lost in lala land, and need to be woken up. Horn is good for that. Its even happened to me in the past. Does a great job to address idiots like the one that you pictured, as they typically do not own, or at least do not have their VHF radio turned on, or invariably its being drowned out by their "wicked bass" - A train horn tends to cut right through P-Diddy quite nicely and get the point across. The trick is to get your point across without escalating into a dangerous situation. Taking FL #'s and carrying a camera with a zoom lens, and reporting these idiots are ultimately the best weapons in this fight. I am curious if you do report them, if there is actually any follow up. On that note, as I have said before. If you are diving in South Florida ALWAYS listen for boat motors before surfacing. if you here a motor, no matter how distant it may seem, DO NOT SURFACE. The person I know that got his arm amputated by one of these idiots heard the boat coming (a small 17' skiff with outboard) but thought it was far away. It was actually right on him but the small size of the motor misled him. In his case he had a Kayak with a dive flag mounted on top of the Kayak, and was on the mooring balls. Pretty large object to hit on the water. Im glad Howard raised this topic, as it has gotten me thinking about ways that we as divers can better educate the boating population at large. Instead of having a single day of enforcement and education, maybe it could be an ongoing thing. Many people are totally ignorant and truly believe that a fishing vessel that is running trolling lines has the right of way. I believe its a misunderstanding of the law, and a result of partial education. There actually are MANY instances when a boat, commercial or recreational that is running a trolling pattern DOES have the right of way. When a diver down flag is raised is not one of them obviously. I have reached the point of frustration with so many of the "sign here and drive" boaters in South Florida, that I basically just do whatever it takes to avoid them. Want to violate my right of way? GO for it! Challenge me to be the boat up front? I'll slow down and let you. Wanna tailgate me incessantly? I'll pull to the side if I have to to let you pass. Run at my dive flags, and that is when I draw the line. the law is great and all but if nobody knows the rules, safety and common sense have to prevail over everything else. As far as law enforcement is concerned, resources are thin, and to the local officers credits I see them concentrating on solving problems instead of incessantly writing tickets wherever possible. they cannot do it alone. I think we as divers have to use some common sense as well. Do not assume that the surface is clear when you surface. Im listening the whole time before I surface for motor noise. My head is on a swivel and my ears are open the moment I hit the surface. I want to see where my boat is, and also what else may or may not be near me.

Well said Fdarden! There is a "Dive flag awareness" page on Facebook. I would encourage every person here to join the page and share the material as often as possible. I know I do because I least I can contribute to rectifying this problem in some way.

I had a yelling match with this jack ass just a few minutes ago. He got mad that I cut him off. I had 2 flags in the water. 2 on my boat and 6 other divers yelling at him. He drove right over the flags as he left. Jerk.

It really sucks that you can't shoot a flare gun at these idiots. People are hit with props every year by morons like this. Howard you handled it better than I would have.

This is pretty upsetting. Now that my wife and 13 year old daughter are diving, these kinds of issues really anger me.

It really sucks that you can't shoot a flare gun at these idiots. People are hit with props every year by morons like this. Howard you handled it better than I would have.

This is pretty upsetting. Now that my wife and 13 year old daughter are diving, these kinds of issues really anger me.

you can shoot a flare gun at them. . .

Back
Top Bottom