• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Dumb scuba products

Discussion in 'General Scuba Equipment Discussions' started by Moogyboy, Nov 27, 2019.

1. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
  2. JackD342

JackD342 Dive Shop

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I was familiar with the Mares H.U.B. but had not heard of a Dacor before. Looks like the Dacor was a purely Mares made item from after the acquisition, and then shifted to Mares after they dropped the Dacor name entirely.
    The Mares Airtrim was just a component of the HUB, which also routed hoses through the BC from a unique/dedicated 1st stage, including the octo hose.
    The Airtrim was still available up to just a few years ago, and the Aqualung i3 is a similar feature.

3. lowwall

lowwall Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
  4. lowwall

lowwall Manta Ray

Blinking tank marker lights?

Doc, Mo2vation and Pweintz like this.
  5. M-Cameron

M-Cameron Nassau Grouper

...why?...

6. lowwall

lowwall Manta Ray

A (dim) colored tank marker light is fine if you feel the need to identify yourself to your dive buddy on a night dive, just don't let it blink. Blinking is annoying/distracting, can inadvertently set off photographers' slave strobes, and can be confusing if you are looking for a distant strobe that marks the boat or exit.

AfterDark likes this.
  7. lowwall

lowwall Manta Ray

There's probably some good reason for this having to do with horizon contrast or something, but still...

36" Black DSMB

(appropriately enough $16.99 on a Black Friday sale).

8. GJC

GJC Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    It's more visible than other colors in hazy grey foggy conditions off the English coast.

CT-Rich, Jim Lapenta and Bob DBF like this.
  9. CuzzA

CuzzA Solo Diver

That's odd. I have hundreds of dives with a camera mounted to my mask and never lost it. I get complimented on my videos as well. Here's some of my better edits from this year.

The funny thing is, I've found a camera tray can also result in jerky video. As seen below. Maybe my head is more steady than most, or it's a myth. If you're comfortable, cool, calm and collected, video will generally turn out well. And editing is 90% of the effort into decent videos.

10. tarponchik

tarponchik Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Hardly, since these blinking lights are too dim. And do not forget, they were common before the mass production of glowsticks began. So they were not dumb for their time--just became outdated now.

On group night dives, I am far more irritated by the super-powerful LEDs used by the go-pro crowd.