Dumbest Thing You Have Done...

How many times have you broken gear doing something stupid?

• Never

Votes: 135 58.7%
  • 1 time

Votes: 44 19.1%
  • 2 - 3 times

Votes: 31 13.5%
  • 4 or more times

Votes: 20 8.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove a quarry today with the instructor that trained me and the DM. They were searching to find the deepest spot. My buoyancy was a little off and when I looked up to find my buddy, I didn't notice I was getting closer to the bottom. When I looked back down and saw that I was about to touch bottom, I kicked instead of adding a little air to my BC. Needless to say the DM that was 3 feet away from me was invisible in a cloud of soot. He wasn't very happy.

jeckyll:
It's a good thing you're keeping that kind of thing quiet :wink:

Yes, it'll be our little secret. He, he!

During my Search and Recovery class, we were relocating a rock in about 20'....tied up the rock, tied the other end of line to the lift bag, put some air into the bag...watched it float up to the surface....the line we had was about 30' and we didn't take out the middle slack. we pulled it back down, dumped the air and tied it a little closer to the rock this time.

In our first pool session, my buddy and I had no significant problems going through the paces. She took a while to get the hang of mask clearing, and I had a hard time seeing anything without my glasses (ordered a prescription mask the next day). Anyway, everything went well until we got to the post-class debriefing when she discovered that she had lost her glasses.

Well, after checking the hall, the car, the bathrooms, the benches, and practically everywhere else, she was about to give up when the divemaster working with the rescue class at the other side of the pool mentioned that he'd found a pair of glasses. I hopped over, and indeed, they were hers.

Turns out, he'd picked them up from the bottom of the pool. (She leaves her glasses in the car on every dive we've done, but she still won't let herself live that down. If you try to abbreviate any pre-dive checks, it's "remember the glasses".)

For me - too many to count. Here's one though: before I became a commercial diver, and was using a tank & BC, I got all my equipment together on the beach, suited up with my buddy, swam out to the kelpbed (a long-*** ways!), then found I couldn't get any air from my tank. After about ten minutes, I swam back to the beach, where I discovered I had forgotten to open the valve of my tank. By then though, I was too exhausted to swim back out. It was the dive that wasn't ...

I was finishing up a navigation class with a group of students. There were approximately 4 females in this class. As we were removing our gear, my shorts came off with my wetsuit. The water was kind of cool that day too.
I was doing an open water mask removal skill once, my mask slipped out of my hands, and is probably still in the process of sinking to the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico.

he he....

Know that feeling....once I forgot my bs bottoms, so I put my wetsuit on in the head.
After the dive, I forgot and pulled my wetsuit down. Pointer: people don't scream, you only draw attention to yourself...what a loser.

I miss all the good dives! LOL...Did the naked wet suit dance on BIDs boat for the manta dive once. Was told they had towels so I left my big giant naked wet suit dance towel home. They had little bath towels....And it was cold water!

This didn't happen to me, but it did happen to a buddy, so I think it still counts.

We were diving a wreck off of Orange Beach, Alabama. When we got on the wreck, we came upon a medium sized amberjack tangled up in a ball of fishing line. Being a pseudo environmentalist, my buddy decided to try to cut the fish loose with his Z knife. About 10 seconds and a storm of bubbles later, we looked up to see our buddy, and the fish hopelessly tangled in the line together. To make things better, the fish was in the process of beating the snot out of him. Between laughing and trying not to drown, we finally got him and the fish untangled. The fish went into the deep blue and our buddy went back to the boat. He still hasn't lived it down.

On an urchin diving expedition at Santa Rosa Island, 35 miles from home (Santa Barbara), I found a nice thick kelpbed, went to the bow, and threw the anchor. As the line was flying out of the anchor locker, my mind wandered & I watched the seagulls, not realizing that my deckhand had the boat in reverse. I looked down just in time to see the last bit of anchor line waving at me as it flew off the boat. No spare anchor, no urchins, no money ... no brains.

Back
Top Bottom