Dumbest Thing You Have Done...

How many times have you broken gear doing something stupid?

• Never

Votes: 135 58.7%
  • 1 time

Votes: 44 19.1%
  • 2 - 3 times

Votes: 31 13.5%
  • 4 or more times

Votes: 20 8.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My two friends and I "inherited" some gear. The three of us decided to take turns with it diving an old mill pond for ten minutes at a time. My turn came and my buddies sat on a log with their legs dangling in the water. At the end of my dive I decided to be a "smart a.." and I surfaced hand and arm first (giving them the "finger"). What I didn't realize was that during my dive, another couple had shown up and sat down on the other side of the pond with their legs in the water. I stood up fully facing these strangers and heard my buddies laughing like crazy behind me.

Being used to diving in only a rashvest and boardshorts, I forgot I was wearing a wetsuit and couldn't figure out WHY I couldn't go down! ..... not enough weights!

Here's one. I'm in the pool for my OW certification and I'm in full cold water gear with everything except the hood and gloves. The instructor had just called for everyone to huddle up for a talk but my hair was annoying me because it was wet and plastered down in my eyes. I got the bright idea that I would just lean over backward a little and wet my hair back and get it out of my face.

Can you guess what happened? Yup. I toppled right over like a turtle on it's back right on the bottom of the pool. I am grossly overweighted, being a newbie. I look up through the water and dimly I see the ring of students looking down at me going "what the...?" but nobody makes a move to help me up. I am groping for my regulator and can't seem to locate it and I think, "so! this is how it ends...not quite how I pictured it". Finally, I do the only thing I can do and roll over on my side and then manage to get up onto my knees from there. Whew!

You always wonder how people drown during scuba training in the pool, now you know. They were fixing their hair.

I was diving on the USS Duane in Key Largo, dropped down on travel gas, at 70ft i was searching for my backgas regulator (7ft orange hose on the surface) I saw this yellow brown hose wrapped around my head, wondering where the hell this came from. Then remembered im at 70ft. After that had a great dive

i walked on the bottom once
thanks to SB I know how dumb that is
:)

When I was first certified about 17 years ago, I let a friend (no scuba training at all) use my rental gear to swim next to a jetti in around 6-8' of water. I decided to go check on him a little while later, swam out, and found him wandering up and down the jetti just like in the movies ... I checked his tank ... less than 100lbs!!! That was the end of his diving career and my generosity on that trip.

-----

Mike.

I haven't broken anything yet but given a bit of time...

This morning I decided to see how effective the new workout is and decided to quickly slip into my new-to-me neoprene dry suit. A few weeks ago I inherited a bright lime green fuzzy dry suit of unknown vintage. From the outside it appeared that it would fit, and I didn't want to admit that I was larger than its previous owner.

The first time I tried in on was in the parking lot of Tim Horton's, told that if it would fit it was mine. It appeared that all was well until I tried to bring it over my hips; no way was it going on over my jeans. It was close enough thought that we decided I could give it a good home.

So this morning I had a few extra minutes before I had to dash off to work and that suit sitting and staring at me. After ditching all clothing other than the barest of essentials I slipped into the suit. Having to jump and pull and beg not nearly as much as I had expected and then contorting into the neck seal. All appeared to be well. There was no way I was even going to think about zipping it up.

Noticing that way to much time had gone by I had to quickly ditch the suit and get ready for work. Is it possible to quickly get out of one of these things?? Trying to decide what would be worse; driving to the office and talking one of the guys into helping free me while explain the new dress code, or going next door to meet the new neighbor.

I decided that either way I would never live it down and decided to try to escape on my own. After managing to hook the opening on a door knob, twisting and contorting more than I thought possible, dislodging the suit just prior to dislocating my shoulder, I managed to escape with my pride somewhat intact.

Is this why a dry suit course is offered? :blush:

After finishing my safety stop, I promptly let go of the anchor line, forgetting that I was in some serious current. The swim back was fun...

On one of my first ocean dives, after misunderstanding the DM, I took my reg out, turned it upside down, and bathed a frogfish in bubbles... Man I felt stupid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom