Dumbest Thing You Have Done...

How many times have you broken gear doing something stupid?

• Never

Votes: 135 58.7%
  • 1 time

Votes: 44 19.1%
  • 2 - 3 times

Votes: 31 13.5%
  • 4 or more times

Votes: 20 8.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

did it only 3 days ago ..... first sydney dive since May (finally fit into my 5mm) and very excited - and i did TWO stupid things

1st (most) stupid thing was when packing my gear hubby says "take those regs" and its a 3 hose combo and im standing there, waving the inflator hose around and ask "what do i do with this"..... duh! (my only excuse is with the alladin air z im use to 2 hoses)

2nd was when i get to the dive site - everyone is "wow, youre diving with us" and i go set up my gear to find a yoke reg and din tanks.... double duh and saved by one of the other divers with a spare tank

I'm not sure if this fits into your "dumbest thing you've ever done" discussion, but this is the funniest thing that I've ever done without realizing it: I have a habit of humming under water when I'm doing a pretty relaxed dive. I have an MP3 player and usually really get into the music. (I've been told I can be quite loud by my husband - ha ha He can't even shut me up under water!!!). Usually I only use this thing on shallow dives when we're just kinda doing our own thing. For some reason, I tagged along on a deeper dive with new students (and brought my MP3 player). I was going solo, so figured it'd give me something to do at the safety stop, etc,). Well while we were down, I got kinda bored and turned on some tunes. When we got back to the boat, the DM was laughing pretty hard and had to pull me aside to let me know that it's probably not the greatest idea to be humming the "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" with newer students around... Hee hee.... OOPS

A picture is worth a 1000 words......or maybe not, can't get it to load. sorry.

Well here's one I saw recently:
There was this guy on the boat whose neck seal had started to stretch so he zip tied it with 2 zip ties in series, pulled it tight and folded the latex over the ties and didn't tell anyone what he was going to do.
About a minute later he realises he's pulled it too tight and starts changing colour.
Of course the first thing the rescuers wasted valuable time looking for was an internal throat obstruction. Then someone tested the latex seal and realised it wasn't giving way.
Now he definitely needs a new neck seal because the old one got slashed to pieces and he darn nearly got his throat cut in the process. It's not that easy to cut a zip tie off someone's neck. :wink:

:missing: My navigation class...I'm SUCH a moron...I was forced to lead the way for a small group and I got us lost!

I was forgiven (eventually) by the others when I explained (repeatedly) to the instructor that it was all my fault.

Left my ACB weight pockets in the car , i was trying to deflate my wing for probably 3 minutes to try get under.

First Cenote dive ever left the battery to my HID in the car. The one that we didn't take to the dive site.

Left my strobe on all night before diving the U-853!

terrasmak:
Left my ACB weight pockets in the car , i was trying to deflate my wing for probably 3 minutes to try get under.
Yeah, I did that about 5 weeks ago too :D. Out of the water, off with my fins...back in the water, on with my fins... :rofl3:

-----

Mike.

Didn't read the whole thread, but how about get all geared up, enter the water and realize that trickle of water is because you forget to close the zipper on your rear entry dry suit...:shakehead

Luckily it was just a trickle and my buddy closed it for me...

Mike

Back
Top Bottom