Dumbest Thing You Have Done...

How many times have you broken gear doing something stupid?

• Never

Votes: 135 58.7%
  • 1 time

Votes: 44 19.1%
  • 2 - 3 times

Votes: 31 13.5%
  • 4 or more times

Votes: 20 8.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been lucky so far, never broken anything. But as far as doing stupid things I am a master. My favorite seems to be descending with my snorkel rather then my reg. I usualyy do that a time or two a trip. Last time was with a bunch of open water students.
I have tried many other stupid things too! One of the best was preparing to enter the water and the DM asked if I'd care for him to attach my reg to my tank. Sounded like an excellent idea to me! I could go on and on!
:bonk: scubajoe

I finally hve one to add to this thread.

Today I was in Clear Springs Scuba Park diving in one of their rental Mobbys dry suits. After entering the cold water, (saw 44-degrees F while at the platform) I practiced removing and replacing the suit inflator hose with one hand without looking (doing it by feel).

Thought I had the hose properly attached when I descended. Suit squeeze started so I hit the button to add air.

Nothing happens...squeeze still there.

Hit the button again....still nothing...

Thump the valve a few times, and then press and hold.

Then I noticed my chest feeling a bit cold and damp.

"What's going on???!?!?!!" I'm thinking as the sqeeze gets a bit tighter. "Where's the leak coming from?" as I continue thumping and pressing the valve's button.

Then finally it dawns on me to check the inflator hose. Sure enough, it was just barely on.

Moral of the story: With drysuits, something (air or water) will enter the valve when you depress it. What you want is the air.

Best Scuba Advice ever given to me: "If you didn't learn something, experience something new, or practiced/perfected a skill, you wasted the dive." -- Ron Carlo, Master TDI instructor

The only leak you are supposed to take is in your wet suit... thats really for warmth, ya know!

...as in, jump in the water and then flip on the heater?

being a drysuit diver, wetsuits are a source of confusion for me. Especially after using a front zip, and then going to a back zip type. I was still in front zip mode.....Well...you get the pic....the problem with this was that my boobs looked better in the back than where they really belong....deep sigh! ages

Originally posted by Scottri
I also once put a nice hole in the palm of my hand trying to remove a zip tie off of a mouth piece with a very sharp knife.
Scott:mean:

Damn! I hope that we aren't related :) I have the same problem; attempted to change a mouthpiece and cut myself with my knife. Now the knife stays in the toolbox and the wire cutters come out for those wire ties.

Another stupid thing: well, taking off your weight integrated rig and standing it upright on the bench next to the lockers at Sunset House, reaching over to open the lock, and finding your kit on the ground with a hole in the primary reg hose. Oops! Guess it should have been laid down. The real kicker: I didn't have a spare and neither did the shop; had to rent a low end reg for the rest of the week (salt water tastes good :p).

And, one that was overheard, but wasn't me: paying bucks for a liveaboard in Isle Royale to dive ship wrecks, a diver looks up from his gear and states: does anyone see an extra drysuit. I think that trip sucked for him being that L. Superior can be a bit nippy at 35).

Cheers :)

agree with the marriage thing......but
not turning the air on once or twice, and leaving the snorkel in when descending. Both the signs of over-excitement, too much time spent looking at sexy japanese girls on the dive boat.
At least no-one sees you spluttering under the surface as easily as on top......:D

Back
Top Bottom