Dumbest Thing You Have Done...

How many times have you broken gear doing something stupid?

• Never

Votes: 135 58.7%
  • 1 time

Votes: 44 19.1%
  • 2 - 3 times

Votes: 31 13.5%
  • 4 or more times

Votes: 20 8.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a great forum that I can add a few to. I OW certified in 1993 and read only one or two dry suit articles in the magazines. Later in 1994 I was invited to dive with a dry suit diver one on one. He knew I had only read about the dry suits. My dive was in a wet suit that day. First thing I asked was, "do you wet your BCD so it won't slip before placing it on the tank", his answer was a confirmed "NO". He entered the water and realized on his 4th dry suit dive, but the first with the inflator attached, he did not have enough weight on. I handed the orange spray painted weights to him for the BCD pocket trick. Three minutes into the dive I noticed the boots and fins were not attached to his feet, his feet were in the knees of the drysuit. I re-shod him quickly. Five minutes into the dive I noticed that the regulator hose was getting short and that his head was arched back, I followed the hose down to the tank between his knees. My vote was to SURFACE! Oh no, we would swim to the training platform and fix all this. Once there, all the gear came off and he floated up like a balloon which I promptly pulled back onto the platform. Reconfigured gear was being put back on as I now watched the orange painted weights fall out of the BCD pockets. My balloon was held onto and the weights were reinstalled. Fifteen minutes into the dive, we begin a new and start to actually dive; I see a hose snaking its way out infront of my dive buddy and I think OH NO! I hand the hose to him and he re-attaches it and presses the button. The look on his face is "SHOCK", now there is cold water in the dry suit all over his chest. This dive is listed in my first log book as the "DRY SUIT DIVE FROM HELL". I even let him sign the book too!!! I now dive two different dry suits and can appreciate that day and all I did for him. The truth is that he was trying to impress this "Baby Bubbler Mud Puppy" at the time. My instructors have always said I was a great diver and would really go far in the dive community. They were true to their word from what I have been told. I have worked hard at it.

Sam,

That was too funny. You know in some countries PMS is a suitable defense for murder. Testosterone should be a suitable defense for stupidity.

Tom

The reef was to my right on the way out, it has to be to my left on the way back.....wrong. When we decided to return, I didn't take into account the channels that wound us around. When I took my reciprocal heading the reef was still to my right, so I thought my compass was malfunctioning. I was wrong, and penance was a longer than desired surface swim.

We all make mistakes, but my pet peeve is when I do stupid things that cost me money. ( Of which I have little to throw around ).

Diving with a team on a small boat, we found it difficult to find room to take off our gear at the end of the dive. So I came up with the idea to purchase a 3/8” nylon rope approximately 25’ long. On this rope were place 4 carabiners, about 5 feet apart. One end of the rope was anchored to the boat and the other end with the carabiners was placed overboard. The idea was upon surfacing the diver would inflate his BC and then connect a carabiner to one of his BC’s D-rings. The diver would then slip out of his BC and fin to the boat, board and undress. When ready and room was made available, the BC’s would be pulled aboard one at a time and dealt with.

On this particular day I had just purchased a magnetic re-writable dive slate.
I placed this slate in my detachable Zeagle BC pocket. This pocket is designed to clip on the front of my Zeagle BC, using the two lower quick disconnect straps. Everything with the dive went with out a hitch, until I surfaced. Upon surfacing, I inflated my BC and then released the quick disconnects and rolled out of the BC. Of course sense the BC’s quick disconnect straps were the only thing holding my Zeagle pocket in place, it quickly fell into the abyss. I was completely unaware of it’s loss until I boarded the boat.
GONE…. and along with it my cutting shears and my new dive slate. Nobody to blame but myself. Sometimes being stupid is costly.

Dive Safe…………………………..Arduous

Ok, my turn --

1) Ready for a leisurely, relaxing shore dive with an instructor / friend. We enter the water, chatting all the way... I watch her stop to put on her fins, and then we continue bobbing out... as the water splashes over my head, I realize that I am still holding my fins in my hand!

But the REALLY stupid one.....

I was eager to find new buddies to dive with. I encountered a gentleman who, even though he didn't have as many dives as I did, said that he new the area well -- and that was what I needed, a guide. There were MANY signs that this was an accident waiting to happen... (actually, more like a train wreck).... but I REALLY wanted this to work.... (I was trying to prove that you could meet friendly folks who could be dive buddies when you were traveling to new places. I was also trying to save money) .... anyway, after numerous mishaps that resulted in us first getting bashed against some rocks, and then against some piers, we aborted the dive (the surf ripped my regulator out of my mouth and my mask off my face!).... and somehow, in the crawl out of the surf, I managed to lose a weight belt with 25 pounds of weight strung onto it -- never missed it until I tried to take it off so I could stand up.... and it wasn't there. I spent the rest of the day trying to remove sand from various bodily orifices as well as bandage my badly hurt pride.

The one ever so slightly satisfying thing was that I was wearing a dive skin, and he was only wearing a shorty. He lost considerably more blood on the coral than I did.

Now, I am much more comfortable in my skills, and I won't just 'go along' with somebody!.

2 things come to mind

1. Dropped my posiden 1st stage and broke the DIN adaptor off. No big deal i was only 9 hrs from home diving a deep lake.

2. Same lake diff year taking photos with camera rated to 40', forgot i had it and dropped into 200'. Flooded camera, but i dryied it and it still works today.

Andy

Submerging with the snorkel in my mouth. Jumping in sans integrated weight pouches. Leaving those same pouches in a diveshop van in the Caymans and having to dive a weight belt till they were found and returned a few days later (yeah!).

I have not YET broken any gear due to stupidity on my part (knock on wood). Another diver I didn't know left a tank standing on a boat dive. It fell over. As it was during the trip back to the shore, I didn't find out my pony-bottle valve had been bent till I got home and was cleaning my gear. Argh!

One of the funnier things I've seen was a very vein diver, who thought he was Gods gift to the sport, get hit in the butt by a good sized wave while exiting a shore dive. The water entered the wetsuit at the beaver-tail, traveled up his body and shot, at high velocity, out of his hood. Kind of looked like the worlds biggest sneez. His mask poped forward and then, partly flooded, snapped back against his face. Kind of a humbling experience, eh?

i cannot say never but i can only mention a fiew on here.
decided to go comando style one day while doing a shore dive on a deserted beach well it was diserted when i went in .
and annother time when i had my tank in my car (hatchback)
and decided to drive away with it unlatched needless to say the tank fel out and gravity took over and the tank fell on its valve only thing that had happened was the washers inside were squished! it werks great now !

My first condom catheters for the Pee valve were ordered Extra Large. Did I mention I was diving in Alaska?

Let's just say that Fed Ex delivered the appropriately sized condom catheters a few days later.

:banging:

Do you smell something?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom