Dumbest things you've seen a newbie diver do

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure if a newbie diver, but certainly a newbie with equipment:

While on a boat ride out to the dive site, a lady was "programming" her dive computer.
She looked at me, and asked " Excuse me, do you know what our altitude is? I need it for my dive computer."
Not wanting to be rude, I looked over the side of the boat and said "I'd say about 4-5 feet"

(I must add that she was a pretty good diver.)

Since I am still new, I am sure I can keep adding to this one. Yesterday, spent the day doing pool work with husband and daughter. Just another well spend Sunday. I was so worked up about trying to get my weight right before AOW in 2 weeks plus tying knots underwater that I never realized I never put my fins on. When we do pool work, my daughter and I put our gear in the pool floating, then get in and finish getting ready, due to the weight of everything. I always put my fins on last, however, yesterday, I guess I had other plans. It was not until my daughter looked at me, surfaced, and came back down with my 2 fins that I realized, I was swimming and trying to weight myself without a piece of equipment, my fins. I had already worked on my weight and was practicing hovering, never once did I feel something was missing. Thankfully my kid noticed and got them for me, came over to me, handed me the fins and swam back over to her dad. She never said a word about it. I thought for sure I would not live that one down. I had been practicing tying knots on land and finally got it now I needed to be able to tie UW with gloves on.

Now THAT's a good dive buddy! :eek:k:

Now THAT's a good dive buddy! :eek:k:

Jax:

I have to say I agree, she has been great! And she does not rub it in that she is much better than me. She has put up with more than most dive buddys would. When we were doing our Nav class together, with touch contact, as we were swimming along, I was trying to clip my console and somehow had put my hose through her hose and clipped us together, she just rolled her eyes and let me do it. Inst. was laughing because he could see what was happening, her eyes rolling and how she was trying to stop it, but I just kept clipping us together. It was not until we surfaced that she was able to free herself from me.

One of my favourites...

an Instructor returned from the shop doing an OW course. It was the last dive for the course... He found one of the students had lost a fin.. he retrieved it and after about 50 M stopped the class.. got them to circle him and held up the fin.... he wasn't sure what alarmed him more.. the fact that a student had traveled a good 50 M with a missing fin and not noticed or the fact that EVERY ONE of the students had to look to see if it was THEIR fin:doh:

As a pre-newbie going for his OW in 2 weeks (with his 13 year old daughter), I really appreciate all of the candor and honesty from experienced divers on this forum. I know reading about mishaps does not replace experience, but, being aware about other'ss problems can help my as I get started in this endevour. Thanks to all who are willing to share their mistakes or bad decisions!! This forum is a great resource for all of us who are just starting...

glen99,

Best of luck to you and the daughter with the OW - and hopefully you'll avoid the mistakes that many of us make - and admit to:D - I thought mine I posted a couple of weeks back on here was a classic - forgetting to undo top strap of BCD whilst taking it off and almost strangling myself :dork2:

For yourself - and others maybe you are not aware that there is currently a lawsuit against Scubaboard, trying to close it down - worth checking out http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/de...right-post-scubaboard-legal-defense-fund.html and donating a little to the legal defence fund to keep our Board available as the best resource there is for dive info.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax
I did my first boat dives this weekend. I was getting all geared up while my buddies were waiting on me by the rig. Everything was set and i was getting ready to do my back roll off the boat when one of the guys on board said 'you might want to put your fins on first'. :blush: Needless to say the rest of the dives went well and I had a blast.

Reactions: Jax
I did my first boat dives this weekend. I was getting all geared up while my buddies were waiting on me by the rig. Everything was set and i was getting ready to do my back roll off the boat when one of the guys on board said 'you might want to put your fins on first'. :blush: Needless to say the rest of the dives went well and I had a blast.

Oh goodness, you don't have to be a newbie to do that. Year before last I was diving in the Channel Islands off the Peace. Was all set to giant stride into the water ... and it's a LONG drop off that boat. Was going solo, so I had on my tank, my pony bottle, and had my scooter in my hands. Just as I was walking up to the gate, the crew fellow asked "aren't you taking your fins?"

:shocked2:

:idk:

:D

... my friends thought it was awfully funny ... :rofl3:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I generally wear a hat on the boat to keep my bald head from getting fried. Not a baseball cap, but a bucket hat. You can see it in my avatar. It's got a chin strap to keep it from being blown off when the boat is under way, which is fortunate, since it's not at all uncommon for me to forget to remove it before hitting the water...

Back
Top Bottom