Dumpable weight vs trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveClimbRide

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an interesting choice to make. I have very heavy legs that make trim difficult. I found a way of getting in trim but it leaves me with no dumpable weight.

For reference I dive in a 8mm wetsuit and I need 3kg on the shoulders then another 2kg in trim pockets for a total of 5kg in fresh water with an AL80. So I guess my question would it be better to be in trim or have dumpable weights.

And this is the minimum weight I can use. I can do a safety stop @ 50bar with no air in my bcd.

Try this. Completely empty the air in your wing when you get near the bottom at the start of a dive (probably best to have a sandy bottom). Now see how difficult it is to hold a given depth and ascend a bit. This will tell you if you need to make some of the weight more easily ditchable. Maybe you can put 4kg up high and have 1kg on the front.

No ditchable weight is not an issue for me as long as you are properly weighted. I've seen some add weight because they think they need ditchable weight so now the are negative so dialing in the weight is the start of everything to me. Also if you are using a standard aluminum cylinder they are butt light so you can slide it down towards your feet and that can help which is opposite of a steel cylinder or a neutral aluminum.

You are diving correctly weighted, so ditchable weight is not necessary.

If you have only the ballast you need, and can hold a 10 foot stop with an empty BCD and a nearly empty tank, you are good to go.

If you are trying to achieve a "balanced rig", it may or may not include ditchable weight, so again, your configuration is fine.

Can you configure the shoulder weights so that you can ditch them if required? Perhaps in pockets slipped onto the shoulder straps or attachments which could be cut away in an emergency?

If you are not using a plate and wing, consider doing so. A harness based plate and wing will give you a lot more flexibility in positioning your weight. I am very foot heavy and had to go that route.

Small, unobtrusive 2 lb weight pouches that can be positioned on your shoulders to help with the foot heavy problem. They have both Velcro and buckles, so the weights are secure until you want to dump them. Normal trim weight pouches are too big as they are designed for 5 pound weights.

image.jpg

If you are really desperate, you could also go to a higher weight first stage like the Mares 75x.

As others have said, if you balance your rig, you have little need for dumpable weight.

Ditching weight is really only relevant in very few situations, and ecen then it is kinda questionable:

1. Solo diving - this would be a last ditch effort if one was struggling to ascend with a compromised buoyancy source (and for some reason do not have a redundant buoyancy solution to deploy) and thought they might pass out before arriving at the surface.

2. During an emergency situation on the surface - in this case one should be thinking about cutting gear off the perzon suffering the emergency to establish positive buoyancy instead of fafffing with buckles, clips, velcro, what have you.

3. In an out of air emergency at depth - easily avoided by good dive planning, paying attention to how much air one has remaining, and diving with proper buddy etiquette.

That being said, I have pockets that are ditchable mounted on my backplate harness...I dont use them because they are ditchable, I use them because they make it easier for me to load my ballast after putting on my gear. To be honest, my last few dives have been with the weight in my trim pockets on my cam straps because I find the weight better situated their for me.

If you need weight on your shoulders and that makes it non-ditchable...I would think that is not a problem unless you are solo diving.

I know there are folks here with loads more experience than me, but in 25 years I have yet to experience an issue where I or any of the folk I have dived with, had a need to ditch weight.

I think the scenario that comes up in discussion is when someone jumps in the water only to find that their tank valve is off and the amount of weight they are carrying makes them start to sink...in this case, will one remember to pull their weight pouches? Wouldnt it be better to double check the tank valve is turned on by taking some deep breaths off the reg before jumping in?, to ensure that do-gooder trying to ensure your tank valve is open but inadvertently closed it doesnt cause your incidental injury/death? This last paragraph is just an attempt to preempt arguments.

-Z

You are diving correctly weighted, so ditchable weight is not necessary.

If you have only the ballast you need, and can hold a 10 foot stop with an empty BCD and a nearly empty tank, you are good to go.

If you are trying to achieve a "balanced rig", it may or may not include ditchable weight, so again, your configuration is fine.
What about if you for some reason have to do a "buoyant" ascent, as we learned in OW course being the 5th way to ascend and a last resort?

What about if you for some reason have to do a "buoyant" ascent, as we learned in OW course being the 5th way to ascend and a last resort?

News Flash: If you aren't overweighted (and for some even if you are), there are multiple ways to achieve positive buoyancy in the last resort buoyant ascent:
Choice #1. Inhale fully. Yup, that's it.
Choice #2. Kick to begin the ascent.
Choice #3. Automatically or orally inflate the BCD.

As said, if you're correctly weighted, having ditchable weight isn't necessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom