• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

DumpsterDiver emergency ascent from 180'

Discussion in 'Advanced Scuba' started by 2airishuman, Aug 9, 2017.

1. halocline

halocline Solo Diver

Probably the most reliable regulator design, as demonstrated by many decades of service from the USD royal aquamaster on through the decades of conshelfs and then titans, is the old USD balanced diaphragm design. Right on it's heels is the MK5 balanced piston design, and the sherwood/MK2 flow by piston design.

Each of these simple, classic regulators has literally many millions of dives without problems. I really don't think you can characterize 'diaphragm' as being more or less reliable than 'piston', nor can you successfully argue that one is more prone to sudden failure than the other.

Once you get your Harlow book and start reading up on the designs I think you'll see that each has failure points and strengths. The conshelf has 1 o-ring on the interior of the reg; ONE! The MK2 is designed so that no dynamic (moving) o-ring is subjected to HP air, another remarkably reliable design.

stuartv, northernone and RayfromTX like this.
  2. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I had a MK-20 blow just before putting my rig on my back. Last Wednesday.

A back-up set of regs saved my dive.

The culprit was apparently the wrong duro O-Ring along with the backing bushing put on upside-down by the service tech. Both big no-no's.

I carry a 30cu/ft pony with a MK-2/R-190 as a back-up. My max depth (I was solo) I went to afterwards was 70ft. I could have likely breathed off the bypassing regulator if necessary but I feel the 30cu/ft would have easily allowed me a three minute safety stop at 15 feet and all of the ascent if necessary.

I made the dive with another MK-20. One the aformentioned tech never touched.

soggybadger and 2airishuman like this.
  3. soggybadger

soggybadger Contributor

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I went for the ali 7 for similar reasons. Multi use and manageable.

4. soggybadger

soggybadger Contributor

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    You forgot the most important point of discussion. 6 actions on for dropped bacon.

Colliam7 likes this.