http://www.diveheart.org/

Dunning Kruger and new divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rickk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does diving training as practiced promote Dunning Kruger?

For those who don’t know the Dunning Kruger effect it is the tendency of people who know a little about something assuming that they know it all because they do not know what they don’t know. They overrate their skills and ability because they do not have the knowledge of what they should be doing: don’t know what they are doing wrong.

Basically, the old saying a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I am more familiar with PADI training but from what I see all agencies have the various levels of training and a basic open water is generally a couple days effort. The dive instructors are usually associated with a dive operation and the financial incentive is to get as many people in the water as possible as much as possible so scaring them with a very detailed assessment of the dangers as well as spending a lot of time on that is just not profitable.

Then they go out and do a couple dozen dives thinking that practice makes perfect, it doesn’t practice makes permanent, if you practice bad skills and procedures, these become permanent.

I have seen instructors complete the training and say, now you are a diver after open water dive #5. These new divers have no idea what they are doing, they have poor buoyancy control, normal as this takes time underwater to achieve, they have bad gas management, again understandable as this too takes experience to achieve, they have bad propulsion control as this too takes practice to achieve, but they are divers and they have a shiny piece of plastic to prove it.

I was lucky, my OW instructor made it clear that additional training, at least an AOW was necessary. He told me I had good basic skills but needed time in the water to get better, As I was at a resort and dove several more times post certification, he guided me and offered helpful suggestions. I then took the AOW back in Canada and was exposed to a whole different type of diving, cold low vis, heavy suits, dry suits that I had not experienced in Jamaica.

Not all instructors are as supportive, they often look at new divers as something to get through the training mill and then can charge for additional dives, in resort diving they will often never see the diver again so what happens to them is not their worry.

In my younger and more foolish days, I took a private pilot license, upon passing my check out flight the tester said “Congratulations, you now have a license to learn how to fly.”. To me that is what an OW cert is, a license to learn how to dive.

What can be done to stop this Dunning Kruger effect?

Personally, I would like to see an OW cert expire in say 5 years if not supplemented by an AOW cert. That way at a minimum the new diver would realize that he is not fully trained and the best diver around but needs some additional training.

I have dove with people who only had the OW cert and several hundred dives and they were pretty good divers, but most serious divers I have seen have taken additional training, usually up to Rescue Diver but lots have gone beyond that and have several specialties ( not the BS fish identification ones, but Wreck, deep, dry suit, ice etc.)

How do we get the guy who does not want to “be a diver” but only wants to “do diving” once a year at a resort become a safer diver, safer for them but safer for us and for the environment as well?

I am a big fan of AOW training, however your assumption that it is necessary is not always applicable.

If an OW diver can find a mentor or group to dive with (that is willing to teach and critique the new diver) and the new diver does some additional reading and studying on their own, they can quickly surpass what an advanced class will provide. Assuming that they actually do a bunch of openwater dives.

In your case, learning to dive in warm water and then transitioning directly to really cold water would be very challenging without some formal training, but cold water is not interesting to a lot of people.

So expiration of certification is not going to fix a whole lot, there are many AOW graduates who still can't dive so well.

Hi RickK,

I agree with johndiver999. An AOW cert is good, but it can be obtained by self study and mentorship. It is a couple more dives. It definitely helps, but does not solve the problem.

I mentored with a couple of DMs and my wife. Doing the AOW was a check-off cert with an instructor who was suffering the Dunning Kruger effect himself.

Now, if you had used Tech 40 (or equal) as part of your premise, I would have agreed with you. Rescue is good.

My OW instructor gave us the "learners Permit" speech. I took it to heart, suited up after he signed my temporary, and practiced skills solo. It was benign with a hard bottom at 35 feet.

cheers,
markm

I mentioned having something like AOW as a requirement within 5 years, to be a method of driving home the point that the OW is not the pinnacle of diving training and that a new OW graduate is not a fully competent diver despite what they may think.

I find it difficult to believe that an instructor would be showing true Dunning Kruger, to have gotten that far in the training system and not have learned that they did not know everything is hard to believe.

Now I could believe that he was just an self absorbed ignorant a$$hole... :snorkel:

I have a bit of a different take on Dunning Kruger. I see it as applicable to people who overrate their skills/abilities and see no reason to learn anything more. In my opinion it doesn't necessarily apply to people with less than adequate skills who know they need to keep learning, even if they don't know everything that is missing. So yes, Dunning Kruger could apply to some new scuba divers who have just completed OW training, but only a percentage.

I have a bit of a different take on Dunning Kruger. I see it as applicable to people who overrate their skills/abilities and see no reason to learn anything more. .....

Dunning Kruger basically says that people who don't know what they are doing, don't know what they are doing wrong and so tend to have an over estimation of their skills and a level of confidence that is not support by their skill levels.

In other words they are so bad at something, that they cannot recognize how bad they are at it.

People who know that they needs to keep learning are not a problem, these people will normally take an AOW and beyond rating.

The DK crowd thinks that I have a c card and 6 previous dives, so why cannot I dive and penetrate that wreck sitting only 40 m deep? I'll take my buddy, he has a c card too.

What I had hoped to discuss was how does some OW courses/instructors contribute to this and what do people think would be a solution to this?

You can tell people that an OW cert is just a starting point, but with the economic reality of the dive industry, a shop does not want to scare off people with tales of the dangers, or prevent them from doing dives within their skill level or scare them off with a requirement for additional expensive training before they can splash.

At some point when stupidity stops being fatal, evolution fails.

The concept of the Dunning-Kruger effect didn't originate in the dive community. Unless there's some evidence that it's more prevalent here than elsewhere, I don't see how the particular economic realities of the industry can be said to have an effect. Driver's ed courses (mostly paid for by the parents) have been trying to scare kids straight for generations with those Red Asphalt videos, but they seem to be no match for that youthful sense of invincibility, especially when it's fueled by testosterone. Before we go around assigning blame for a problem, let's establish with a reasonable degree of certainty that a problem actually exists, and that it is what we think it is.

What can be done to stop this Dunning Kruger effect?

Nothing. It's an inevitable phenomenon. The way to overcome it is simply to gain more experience. It is also not a function of stupidity. Everyone, including so called smart people are susceptible to it. The idea that it is somehow not applicable to oneself, is a perfect example of the effect presenting itself.

In other words they are so bad at something, that they cannot recognize how bad they are at it.

I don't disagree with your point, but this line makes some pretty large assumptions. You don't have to be bad at something for DK to exist. You could be quite good at it. An example would be the instructor mentioned above. Simply holding an instructor rating doesn't change anything. It doesn't "prove" you're dedicated to learning. On the contrary, I've met plenty of instructors across various industries who have a mindset of "the fact that I'm teaching this to others proves I've reached the top of this game." If anything, I'd say instructors are probably one of the most likely groups to experience DK after fresh new divers (or drivers, pilots, skydivers, boat captains, or whatever else). That's not to say instructors are "so bad at something" they can't recognize how bad they are. They simply overestimate their own skills, according to DK. those are two very different statements.

My point is, to say you have to be "bad" at something for DK to exist is simply incorrect.

People who know that they needs to keep learning are not a problem, these people will normally take an AOW and beyond rating.

The DK crowd thinks that I have a c card and 6 previous dives, so why cannot I dive and penetrate that wreck sitting only 40 m deep? I'll take my buddy, he has a c card too.

I think the AOW is where I part ways with what appears to be prevailing opinion in this thread. To me, *requiring* AOW (or any other training beyond OW) is a bad idea, period.

In my opinion, AOW is already largely a sham for the certification agencies. You do a "deep dive," you do a night dive, maybe play with DPVs, and do a navigation course underwater. In one dive, you're now proficient at underwater navigation, and here's the card to prove it.

It seems to be the opinion that AOW will convince a diver they've got a lot to learn. I'd counter that more likely, you're going to have more new divers running around bragging that they're an advanced open water diver, not just open water.

Likewise, training agencies would rejoice in a requirement for more training. You have to have your AOW within a couple of years? Why not sign up for our new discounted package? OW plus AOW back to back, in a week long tropical diving paradise! (you do know you have to do the AOW anyway, right?)

So now you get the same cattle car training experience, with the same puppy mill instructor mentality, offered to the same "I just want to experience tropical diving once in my life" vacation crowd. If anything, training standards for AOW will be lowered so as to make it more accessible and fit the new requirements. Needless to say, none of that serves to combat DK.

I agree with @seeker242 - you can't do anything about it, it's inevitable. So you recognize it's going to exist and going to prevail, and you create avenues for people who *are* interested in learning more, and developing their skills further so they're not limited by access to "mass produced" training. The way to combat DK is individual mentality, and that's not something you or I or anyone else is likely to adjust. The best you can do is create an environment where people who want more knowledge have easy access to it.

I don't think expiring licenses, enforced one-year refreshers, requirements for further training, or any other "legislative" changes would have any impact on DK at all. I think the training agencies would all love your ideas though.

What I *would* be curious to see is if refreshers became mandatory at the one year mark and/or licenses began to expire after five years - you would finally be able to account for how many divers ever dive again after they're initially certified. I suspect training agencies wouldn't want those numbers getting public. PADI's certified 27billion people! But only 1500 of them still dive/renewed with PADI....

As the old saying goes “The more you learn, the more you realize you don’t know”.
This is what happens when people start coming down from the DK effect.
DK is a condition also known as the “smarts”.
Sometimes it’s one very harsh lesson that will humble them rather quickly. Sometimes they don’t survive it. Such is life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom