Durability & worthwhileness of Aquaflex vs. SP everflex/sport vs. Bare

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fluff_astrid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll be headed to Raja Ampat in a few weeks and, since I am easily cold, want to invest in a new exposure suit before my trip. The LOB unfortunately offers 3mm shorties which are definitely not going to cut it, even when layered with my normal Sharkskin vest & various hoods :)

So I've been shopping around the (limited) selection of local 5mm suits here in Sydney, trying to find something that (a) fits me and (b) is going to be worth the up-front cost (I don't dive regularly enough IMO to pay for a super pricey wetsuit, since I find Sydney water too cold; and while 5mm is probably the max I need in RA, it's not going to be usable here in Sydney's water temps anyways) and (c) isn't going to compress down to nothing after 9 days of diving.

I had high hopes for Aquaflex; tried on both the one listed at my size, and the one a size above. On the one listed at my size, no matter how much pulling I did (my fingers were sore as I was trying desperately not to use the ol' fingernails), I couldn't get the crotch up high enough, and so it was pulling my shoulders down terribly. I tried the size above; still tight in the shoulders and barely could get the crotch up; despite the pull on the shoulders, other areas looked like it was going to be too big. I might go back to try it on again with my lycra rashie, just because I'm frustrated that something touted as stretchy seemed to be impossible to get over my legs.

For comparison, I tried the Bare Evoke and, while a tad long in the legs, fit my body shape like a dream in the appropriate size. Unfortunately, it's 2x as much as the Aquaflex. I've also heard the zippers don't hold.

I can't easily get to the shops that offer an Everflex, but there are some retailers offering free shipping and free returns. I'm not sure what to expect in that material or fit compared to the Aquaflex. I've heard the diagonal zip is a bit of a dealbreaker?

Then, there's a place selling a Scubapro Sport, at a good price. Fits fairly well. But I've heard that it's likely to compress after a few days of diving.

Can anyone comment on the long-term longevity of the Aquaflex, Everflex, Bare Evoke, or Scubapro Sport suits? Do any of them hold up against compression better than the others? Anything else to add? Should I just buy a cheaper full 3mm and then do the layer-up of the 3mm shortie on the boat? :wink:

A number of the local instructors wear Bare wetsuits. One gal loves the Evoke. She’s diving constantly from late April to late October and they hold up well. No zipper problems I’ve heard of.

I have a 3mm and 7mm Evoke. I had a 5mm but sold it when I got my current drysuit last year. The Evoke fits great and is wonderfully stretchy. No zipper issues. Highly recommend the Evoke.

Thank you! (not sure why I didn't get notified of a response!).
After finding a place to try on an everflex, it's down to that or the bare. The wrist and leg seals are unfortunately a bit long on me on the Bare and I'm trying to figure out if having those long is manageable or going to be a pain. The everflex is actually perfect *except* it appears the neck velcro doesn't extend far enough around the collar to ensure I can get it tight without major gapping :(

As a potential alternative, is Fourth Element gear available anywhere in your neck of the woods.
I have a FE Xenos 5mm which is a great fit for me (and the size chart is spot on), the neoprene is very stretchy and the it's pretty easy to get on & off.
They have a very good reputation as a brand and I was told by an LDS that their wetsuits are better than the AL Aquaflex in terms of materials durability/ quality etc. Not sure about compared to the Bare & SP, but I'm sure they are at least on par.
I think they look quite stylish too :)

Btw, my wife has the FE Xenos 3mm shorty and she also really likes hers.

Back
Top Bottom