Dutch Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asmfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hey guys Im going to dutch springs tomorrow for the first time. does anyone have any recommendations on what i should plan my dive around.

THANKS!!

Frankly, there is very little to go on WRT your experience level or what you are interested in. Other than you've been a diver for 10+ years and have <25 dives.

I don't mean to be a party-pooper, but I have some concerns given the above ...

<understatement>If you haven't been in the water for a while, opening day (very cold) in an unfamiliar place is probably not a good idea to start up again.</understatement> With the possible caveat of diving with an instructor or mega-experienced mentor type and IFF (math/science speak for IF and ONLY IF) you are properly equipped. Do not underestimate the cold!

Last August, while we were doing Rescue (which is mostly surface/shallow work,) one of our group lost a snorkel during an exercise. We did an impromptu S&R - hood-less and in 3mm-5mm suits. When we dropped below the thermocline at around 50', the guy who lost the snorkel bailed, and the rest of us were gritting our teeth with brain freeze for the couple minutes that it took to recover it..

Do you have cold water regs and a pony and know how to deal with cold-water freeflow? Surface temps should be in the low 40s according to Dutch ...

This I say from specific experience at Dutch (but applies anywhere): If you are "pickup diving" (i.e. not diving with a very trusted instructor or buddy, but just teaming up on the fly) assume that you are diving completely solo. Do not count on any assistance, you must be fully self reliant for the conditions (fully redundant gas source {pony/doubles}, redundant buoyancy, etc.).

Assuming that you are a current, experienced, properly equipped diver, I'd suggest that you pick up a dive slate/map from the gift shop that you can take with you ...
In the mean time I found a map online (NO WARRANTY) Dutch Springs - Dutch Springs Map | DiveBuddy.com

Most of my diving there has been on the left 1/3 of the map, but I've run some routes on the middle 1/3 as well - lots to see. Fortunately, things should be pretty clear now. Late-summer/fall often has really bad visibility

It is a great place, as long as you respect the conditions ... If you keep going, maybe we'll meet up some time. I renewed my season pass last October, but I'll wait until I can get my drysuit checkout or things start to warm up.

I’ll be there tomorrow. According to dutch at beneath the sea the water temp is around 45f. I dive Dutch in October and water temp was low 60’s I dove a 5mm with boots gloves and hood. I’m Planning a 7/5mm tomorrow with a 5/3 hooded vest and 2mm beanie. 3mm socks and 7mm boots. Lots of xtra weight too. I’m diving with a few people in the morning.

Not that my business is yours but if it’s such a strong point that you wanted to bring it up is I had to stop diving for personal reason and I lost my log so I only count my recorded dives since I have been able to start diving again.

But the point of my question was there are so many “attractions” at Dutch springs I was wondering which would be the most interesting for a first experience. This was not a start,up,dive but just a dive to ensure all my equipment was in working order.

Frankly, there is very little to go on WRT your experience level or what you are interested in. Other than you've been a diver for 10+ years and have <25 dives.

I don't mean to be a party-pooper, but I have some concerns given the above ...

<understatement>If you haven't been in the water for a while, opening day (very cold) in an unfamiliar place is probably not a good idea to start up again.</understatement> With the possible caveat of diving with an instructor or mega-experienced mentor type and IFF (math/science speak for IF and ONLY IF) you are properly equipped. Do not underestimate the cold!

Last August, while we were doing Rescue (which is mostly surface/shallow work,) one of our group lost a snorkel during an exercise. We did an impromptu S&R - hood-less and in 3mm-5mm suits. When we dropped below the thermocline at around 50', the guy who lost the snorkel bailed, and the rest of us were gritting our teeth with brain freeze for the couple minutes that it took to recover it..

Do you have cold water regs and a pony and know how to deal with cold-water freeflow? Surface temps should be in the low 40s according to Dutch ...

This I say from specific experience at Dutch (but applies anywhere): If you are "pickup diving" (i.e. not diving with a very trusted instructor or buddy, but just teaming up on the fly) assume that you are diving completely solo. Do not count on any assistance, you must be fully self reliant for the conditions (fully redundant gas source {pony/doubles}, redundant buoyancy, etc.).

Assuming that you are a current, experienced, properly equipped diver, I'd suggest that you pick up a dive slate/map from the gift shop that you can take with you ...
In the mean time I found a map online (NO WARRANTY) Dutch Springs - Dutch Springs Map | DiveBuddy.com

Most of my diving there has been on the left 1/3 of the map, but I've run some routes on the middle 1/3 as well - lots to see. Fortunately, things should be pretty clear now. Late-summer/fall often has really bad visibility

It is a great place, as long as you respect the conditions ... If you keep going, maybe we'll meet up some time. I renewed my season pass last October, but I'll wait until I can get my drysuit checkout or things start to warm up.

Looks like we where there the same time. How was It with the 7 mm? I was in a dry suit body was comfortable but I had on 5 mm gloves but my hands where still cold. My computer read 37 degrees at depth.

I’ll be there tomorrow. According to dutch at beneath the sea the water temp is around 45f. I dive Dutch in October and water temp was low 60’s I dove a 5mm with boots gloves and hood. I’m Planning a 7/5mm tomorrow with a 5/3 hooded vest and 2mm beanie. 3mm socks and 7mm boots. Lots of xtra weight too. I’m diving with a few people in the morning.

I was perfectly fine except I had the same hand problem. Felt a bit cold on my tailbone but I was ok. Funny my computer said 39 and my buddies said 42.

Deeper freshwater doesn't get colder than 4°C or 39.2°F. If your computer is reading 37°F, that's because the tempsensor/circuitry isn't all that accurate - kind of like my car shows a different outside temp than the car parked next to it.

Michael

What kind of gloves did you wear?

I was perfectly fine except I had the same hand problem. Felt a bit cold on my tailbone but I was ok. Funny my computer said 39 and my buddies said 42.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom