DVD on the Octopus and Squid of SoCal Available Now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I made a New Year's resolution that I would dive less and edit more this year. I'm living up to those resolutions admirably (darn). I have yet to reach dive #100 for the year (but should do so this weekend).

However, I've completed three major DVD's this year: Sharks and Rays of SoCal, Echinoderms of SoCal and now Cephalopods (Octopus and Squid) of SoCal. Each of these DVD's consists of 22-min episodes for a proposed commercial cable TV program. The Cephalopods DVD has one episode on squid and another on Octopus (including the pelagic octopus commonly called the paper nautilus). The squid episode includes a lot of new footage in addition to some from my Concupiescent Calimari DVD released a few years ago.

DVD%20Cephalopods%20cover%20sm.jpg

Check out the Cephalopods DVD by clicking here. Even though it currently says "Available August 30th," I finished it up yesterday.

Check out all my DVD's by clicking here.

If you're female and blonde, click here (just teasing ya ladies).

I have always wondered why California marine life has been so neglected on big TV nature documentaries on National Geographic and Discovery. its always coral and warm waters. I appreciate the effort you have made here, and will order a few of those DVDs soon.

Thanks, SPKelpDiver. Of course it is much easier to film in the clear, warm waters of the tropics and even non-divers know a bit about coral reef ecosystems. The darker, often murky waters of the kelp forests are not as easy to film in. I think the kelp beds have an equally interesting story to tell.

Absolutely. Kelp forests are heavily neglected by most underwater films. I can't count how many films I've seen on tropical coral reefs but can't remember one professional film dedicated to the kelp forest and its creatures. Great Work Dr.Bill! I will sure be ordering your Wrasses & Basses of Southern California, from the pictures it looks like you have captured some very unique behaviors. We need more people like you educating not only divers but the general public about our local ocean. It will not only help bring awareness of our ocean gems but hopefully spur efforts to protect it.

Thanks, Frank. Taking a breather now as I'm anticipating a project that may be approved shortly. Once that is completed, I'll start editing the next DVD and series of cable TV episodes. Someone has to do this, and it might as well be me since I have "deep" pockets. Oops, I just discovered that the reason they are "deep" is that there are big holes in them. Now I know where all my money went!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom