DX-1G w/YS110a vs DX-2G w/YS01

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm caught between getting a DX-1G with a YS110a strobe, versus a DX-2G with a YS01 strobe. The latter will cost me ~ $200 more. These are packages with the fiber optic cable and the sea arm. I know it depends on what I want to do and my experience. I'm leaning toward pocketing the $200 and going with the DX-1G (the camera is older, but does everything I need - even a limited raw photos). Thoughts appreciated.

This is the second time in one week (this post and a private message) that I hear about 'limited raw photos' with the DX-1G. The DX-1G is perfectly capable of taking raw photos. The only improvement with the DX-2G is that it takes less time to write a raw picture to the card. It takes a few seconds with the DX-1G so the limitation is that if you want to take a second picture within these few seconds you have to wait till the camera is ready. I never experienced this as a serious limitation. Most of the time I need more than these few second to reposition for a second shot and most of the time also the strobe needs time to recharge.
The YS-110a is a very fine strobe, a huge improvement over the original YS-110. I find the differences between the DX-1G and the DX-2G apart from the 'raw limitation' minimal so I agree that pocketing the $200.00 would be a good option.

Thanks gustele. I see you are in Curacao - neato. Ever dive Porto Maria? What a beautiful double reef.

holtgarris, I just upgraded to the DX-2G and will be selling my DX-1G if you are interested. You can check my photos I've taken with the 1G by clicking on the "photos" link in the left hand panel on this post. The gallaries with pics taken with the 1G are: Galapagos, Turks and Caicos, Eleuthera, and Fiji 2010. It also takes great above ground pics as well. Let me know if you want to see any above ground photos. You can either send me a PM or email me at jamescrew6@verizon.net

Regards,

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom