DX-2G Camera Storage advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crowplus

New
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
New to UW photography. Have been using the DX-2g with 2 YS 110a strobes for a few months now and enjoying the setup very much. So much more to learn...

Question 1: Regarding O ring care/longevity, is it better to store the camera housing and strobe battery compartment in their locked closed positions or leave them open?

Question 2: back up parts: I will be using the camera on some extended trips and have assembled extra parts (fiber optic cables, o-rings, batteries, etc.) After reviewing S&S and other UW photo equipment websites, I have not been able to locate anyone selling the plastic "fiber adapter" piece for the DX-2G that connects the strobe cables to the housing (seems like it may be easy to lose). Please let me know if you have suggestions for sources or another option that would work.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Go to the Sea&Sea manufactures site on this board and leave a message that you would like an extra connector. Sea&Sea reps routinely check this site and will let you know how to get one. if you have any questions send me a message (Here is a link: Sea&Sea - ScubaBoard.

Regarding storing your housing and strobes, I have had the DX-1G for two years and always leave them in my carry case (I have the Pelican 1510 with padded dividers). I also replace my o-rings every year. I am sure that they will last longer but it is a lot cheaper to buy o-rings then have to buy a new camera and housing. When I install the new o-rings, I always dunk the housing without the camera to check for leaks before I leave on a trip. I also replace the o-rings on my strobes as well.

Regards,

Bill

Question 1: Regarding O ring care/longevity, is it better to store the camera housing and strobe battery compartment in their locked closed positions or leave them open?

I've always stored my cameras (after fresh water rinsing, O-RING REMOVAL & CLEANING, and drying it carefully - specially the o-ring grooves) cleaned and closed. I keep my o-rings in separated zip-locks (one for housing, one for ports (DSLR) one for strobe/cables) inside a small tupperware.

Normally I don't clean o-rings after use (only if they carry a big amount of sand on them) because they always have some silicon impregnated in them, witch will keep them from drying-out. So the o-rings zip-locks are always "greased" on the inside. This helps me make sure I have to clean them before use which is more important.

Even when cleaned, keeping them in the camera might deform them. Better keep them "rested". Also having them in-camera might get your equipment "pressurized" in travels.

Question 2: back up parts: I will be using the camera on some extended trips and have assembled extra parts (fiber optic cables, o-rings, batteries, etc.) After reviewing S&S and other UW photo equipment websites, I have not been able to locate anyone selling the plastic "fiber adapter" piece for the DX-2G that connects the strobe cables to the housing (seems like it may be easy to lose). Please let me know if you have suggestions for sources or another option that would work.

Try to contact the dealers/shops directly for this, via e-mail or telephone. I find it is such an small article that they rarely put it in their website.

Good Luck

I do store my O rings on the camera door. they last for about a year safely....don't store the housing open you would be better taking the orings off and storing them in a vacum...ziplock, tupperware etc and keeping the door closed....having the door open invites in dust and pet hair etc....once the inside of the housing has gunk in it, it is very hard to remove it. IE "how did that eye lash get onto my lens just as that whale shark appeared" ? ahhhh I left the door to my housing open and my camera on the table last night...ha !
treat them both as cleanly as possible
As for those little connectors, when i order one for a customer I make sure they get two of them,,,,they are easy to lose. If you need them let your dealer know you want two...I would keep an extra cable on hand too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom